"Save a copy as" dialog has changed

Jay Denson
Go to solution Solved by Jay Denson,

Does anyone have this problem?  And a solution?  In the last couple of days when I "save a copy as" I get the same export page dialog as I would get when "saving as".  This is annoying as I now have to type in the copy name instead of highlighting the previous save as (which is usually *********** copy #1.

I don't this it's been like this since the upgrade to 10.3.2.  I think it's more recent.  Damn frustrating all the same.

Any ideas? TIA Jay

The same here with 10.3.1 and 10.3.2.  The save as dialog window title is Save AS. The Save copy as dialog window title is Export. Save as lets you choose if the project is saved in a package or folder and lets you choose the assets you want to save in the package or the folder. The Export dialog window otoh is hard coded to save in a package with all the assets automatically saved but the alchemy stuff.

Hi Folks.  When "saving as" (as opposed to "save a copy as") there's always been the preference for folder or package - I always use folder as it contains the assets separately.  But I don't need or want this option when saving a copy.  It never was this way - you used to get a pane showing the contents of the project folder and all you had to do was click on the copy you had made previously (copy #1 in my case) to select it - enter - and confirm the replace (ctrl - R).  Took all of 2 seconds - now I have the hassle of typing in the copy file name,  And it's not new to 10.3.x - it's the last couple of days.

Any more ideas?  Thanks Jay

Hi Triplets.  It's not all I need though.  I want it the way I have been using it for years.  Save a copy as - it's my instinctive backup every half-hour or so.  Why do they have to change stuff that functions perfectly well?

whatever apple's reasoning (or lack thereof), it's the way it is. i never understood, for example, why they changed the measure settings in bounce (i used to enter a start point, then enter an end measure), then bounce.

but i adapted; seems you'll have to do the same. and who knows? maybe that functionality will return at some point (but don't, of course, hold your breath)...

What's not to understand?  It's perfectly simple - "Save As" changes the current project to a new name.  Whereas "Save a copy as" creates a backup and leaves the current project as it is.  And that's what I have always done every 15 minutes or so and more frequently when I'm mixing. 

What's not to understand?  It's perfectly simple - "Save As" changes the current project to a new name.  Whereas "Save a copy as" creates a backup and leaves the current project as it is.  And that's what I have always done every 15 minutes or so and more frequently when I'm mixing. 

... and if it no longer works that way, it no longer works that way. change up your methods, and adapt. what other choice is there?

The problem is not what the function does but what it doesn't  do anymore. Apple Care, maybe?

applecare covers your mac, not the OS. and the logic team is independent (at least in terms of it's own development) of the OS team. as i've learned, if a function is changed in logic (and of course am not talking about 'buggy' behaviors), it's... changed.

so, again, we adapt. not much else to do. altho you can of course file a report: logic pro feedback

Ya logic feedback, not Apple Care for sure.

I share Jay's disappointment. And Jay, you said "In the last couple of days when I "save a copy as" I get the same export page dialog as I would get when "saving as"

So everything worked as expect before these "couple of days" ?

To my knowledge the two dialogs share the same window since Logic 9. No?

Edited by stratquebec

Jay, you should be able to recreate your workflow using "Save as" exclusively:

1. Open "Current-project."
  2. After 15mn, save "Current-project-2."
  3. After another 15mn, save "Current-project-3"

You can always revert to "Current-project" which was left unchanged.

If on the other hand, like me, you like to save every few seconds/minutes (CYA), then here's the workflow:

1. Open "Current-project."
  2. Immediately Save as "Current-project-2."
  3. Work in Current-project-2, doing a regular "Save" every few seconds/minutes.
  4. After 15mn, Save as "Current-project-3".... etc.

• Solution

SORTED!!!!! On the Export page (Save a copy as) to the right of Export As is a little arrow.  Clicking on that restores the page to what I am used to (and also my faith in Life and the Universe).  One small arrow for Man - one bloody big discussion for Logic Users.  Phew!!!

Happy Endings, thanks to all who participated, Jay

Looks like my last post didn't arrive on the forum.  The problem is SOLVED!!!!!  On the page "Save a copy as" there is a little arrow to the right of the Export As header.  I click on this and, wonder of wonders, I have the dialog page I always had.  

Now with respect to David N - I haven't digested his method cos I'm back up and running like I always have.  But I will suggest to him, as a diehard frequent backer-upper like me, that he looks at the "Save a copy as" method of backing up,  You open the dialog (the full version of the page with the arrow stuff I mentioned) and you see files listed in the project folder.  Simply click on a previous one (if you're keeping a running update backup on the go - I always have ******** copy #1.logicx.  Or make a new backup by entering a new name.  It is so logical. Hope this is helpful,

Best wishes and thanks to all who participated, Jay

Now with respect to David N - I haven't digested his method cos I'm back up and running like I always have.  But I will suggest to him, as a diehard frequent backer-upper like me, that he looks at the "Save a copy as" method of backing up,  

I do backup a lot, probably more than most, in fact I like to "Save" (Command-S) after just about every action I take: cut, Command-S, drag, Command-S, adjust level in the Mixer, Command-S, etc. I have carefully studied and experimented with various workflows including using "Save As" and "Save a Copy As".

However Save a copy as doesn't make sense for my own personal workflow. I like to: 

1. Save my file with a name (for example "Lovesong-drums", which is the session where I edit the drums),
  2. Work in that file and keep updating it with Command-S. 
  3. When done, "Save As" (for example "Lovesong-bass", which is the session where drums are fully edited and I'm editing the bass),
  4. Work in that new file and keep updating it with Command-S.
  5. etc...

I end up with incremental versions of my project: "Lovesong-drums" where drums are fully edited, "Lovesong-bass" where drums+bass are fully edited, etc. 

That works for me. But to each its own, workflows are a very personal thing!