Clip Gain Line in Logic Pro X

mgmartino

I was watching something the other day, it was Warren Huart or Chris Lord-Alge

I say CLA at NAMM at the SSL booth putting on his usual show and one thing he said I always concur with:

You mix on an SSL, ProTools it's just a digital tape machine. DAWs and mice are for suckers (don't remember the exact term he used).

Anybody who has a board and prefers to mix in the box is a sucker! :mrgreen:

I was watching something the other day, it was Warren Huart or Chris Lord-Alge

I say CLA at NAMM at the SSL booth putting on his usual show and one thing he said I always concur with:

You mix on an SSL, ProTools it's just a digital tape machine. DAWs and mice are for suckers (don't remember the exact term he used).

Anybody who has a board and prefers to mix in the box is a sucker! :mrgreen:

I would concur with that also! I jut got rid of my board - only a MIDAS venice F32 - and started mixing ITB - Yeah it totally sucks but I can do revisions for clients much more easily and it wasn't the greatest board in the world...

But even then, clip gain line would have been a very useful feature when mixing some genres (just to bring this back to the point of the thread haha!)

• 3 months later...
When splitting up regions to adjust clip gain, are people then creating cross fades between the newly created regions? Or is that not necessary?

Solo that track, and if you don't hear a click, no need for a crossfade. But in the end you do it anyway, just in case.

• 8 months later...
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread. I figured out a great alternative to destructive editing or region by region gain staging :P

Use buses!!!!

Simply send the level automated track to a bus where you will do the rest of your chain ;)

This seems like an option until you get a session to mix with a hundred tracks. It’s impossible to manage. Especially if you’re also using busses for reverbs and parallel processing.

• 2 months later...

in key commands try this:

"increase / decrease last clicked parameter by 10"

it's helpful if you're doing a clip gain pass on a vocal for example where the only parameter you might be touching for 30 mins is the clip gain.

then

"apply default crossfade" key command when you're done all your edits

the default fade amount is set in the editing comping preferences i think

if you absolutely need to see the_____ line____---____ try gain plug in and the marquee tool to edit the automation that should be more similar to protools workflow