Clip Gain Line in Logic Pro X

mgmartino

Hello Guys! Logic is my main DAW and for the most part it is great but recently I have been doing some projects in ProTools and I have come across the "Clip Gain Line" I love this for Vocal Riding (controlling my audio's level before it reaches any processing (Compressors, distortion, etc.)

Now I know that in Logic you can control audio gain in this way by using the Gain parameter in the Inspector's, Region tab but with the "Clip Gain Line" in Pro Tools you can have smoother control over the audio region. which I really like for bringing out the ends of certain words out and other things.  I also am aware I could just use the Gain plug-in as the first insert on my channel strip but I really like being able to see the audio wave get bigger or smaller based on the "clip gain line" ...Any suggestions?

Not with a line..... however here is an option - at least you can see the waveform change.

clip gain.gif

He knew about that tool, as do I.  You simply do not understand the power of the Clip Gain line in Pro Tools.  What you are doing is not even close to the power and control in the Clip Gain line tool.  !!!  Not even close.

Steve

I am offering possible solutions in the event one is not aware. David indicated it wasn't available as did I.... 

embedded region inspector vs floating region inspector.....

Only convenience. Less distance to move mouse if you are doing a lot of edits using the region inspector....

Not with a line..... however here is an option - at least you can see the waveform change.

clip gain.gif

He knew about that tool, as do I.  You simply do not understand the power of the Clip Gain line in Pro Tools.  What you are doing is not even close to the power and control in the Clip Gain line tool.  !!!  Not even close.

Steve

Oh please do tell us more Mr Extreme! You seem to know so MUCH about these things.

• 2 years later...

Clip Gain (as I understand it in the Pro Tools world) modifies the audio file. Set it and forget it. OK.

You can accomplish the same thing, with less destruction, by splitting your audio into multiple regions, using region clip gain to adjust level, followed with a bounce-in-place which will create a new audio file with all of the "gain-adjusted" regions recorded. You still have the original audio with no change, and a new audio with all of the proper gain applied in the file proper.

Or did I miss something? Just do all the gain-staging, Join the regions back together, a new, adjusted audio is created.

Clip Gain in ProTools is non-destructive, as is Region Gain in Logic. The implementation in ProTools is better since you can simply click-drag directly on the Clip to change it, whereas in Logic you need to row with the mouse over to the Inspector to do it there, then row back to where you were. This can slow you down quite a bit, especially when you need to do lots of it, like when editing a complete audiobook's worth of recording.

OK - the description of Clip Gain in Pro Tools says "modifies the audio file", but if it isn't destructive, then I don't see how it's different from Region gain, unless the "drag the line" is important. I just tell Logic to Normalize the regions to something like -9 dB peak and let it happen...I don't edit audio visually...

Any suggestions?

I know this thread is from a while back but check this out: viewtopic.php?t=128703

Read through it and if you're familiar with apps like Y-key, Keyboard Maestro or Quick Keys you can assign custom key commands to change Clip (we use the term "Region" in Logic) Gain. I use this method and it saves me so much time, just hitting key commands instead of having to go into the Inspector and manually change the gain levels.

@facej and @fuzzfilth The point of the line is that you can draw in shapes rather than everything moving up and down in steps and being cut into a million regions. The line acts like automation, currently to do this in logic you have to automate the level on a gain plugin - it would be better if that was just integrated into every region... Also, automating the gain plugin doesn't update the waveform size, which is the nice thing about the protools clip gain line. Basically it's like being able to automate the region gain and see the waveform on the region update, it's very smooth.

@fuzzfilth, thanks for the link but that script doesn't even come close to what the clip gain line does.

I know it doesn't. Whatcha gonna do ? Sit and wait ?

:mrgreen: Got no other choice. I mean, it's not like I'm going to switch to Pro tools :twisted:

In all seriousness, I'll just have to keep chopping up regions adding fades and automating the gain plugin etc... It's probably things like this why serious mixers and most well-known pros stick to pro tools. When you find yourself swamped with work small workflow things like this are a godsend.

It's probably things like this why serious mixers and most well-known pros stick to pro tools.

How do you know that?

They use ProTools because the majority of studios where they work at, the whole setup is based around ProTools.

You're not gonna change a 20,000 dollar AVID setup hooked up to an SSL console to accommodate another DAW.

Also, many serious mixers have a great career and use Logic.

And that's all I'm gonna say. Not doing another PT vs Logic debate.

It's probably things like this why serious mixers and most well-known pros stick to pro tools.

How do you know that?

They use ProTools because the majority of studios where they work at, the whole setup is based around ProTools.

You're not gonna change a 20,000 dollar AVID setup hooked up to an SSL console to accommodate another DAW.

Also, many serious mixers have a great career and use Logic.

And that's all I'm gonna say. Not doing another PT vs Logic debate.

I was watching something the other day, it was Warren Huart or Chris Lord-Alge, I can't remember, and they were talking about how so many big-profile mix engineers stick to pro tools, not because of the reason you describe but because the way people mix has grown out of the tools, techniques and process available in pro tools. It's more to do with workflow and speed than anything else. I'd link to the vid but not sure what it was called and haven't got time to search but I'm sure there are some interviews talking about it on the YouTube :)

I'm happy with logic, I prefer it in general but every now and then I'm watching some high-profile mixer on YouTube and I think, damn, I wish Logic did that....

Clip gain is one of those things. Basically, all we need in logic is the ability to automate the region gain. It would help a lot, not because you can't currently get the same results but because it would save time and make the app more enjoyable to use.

Edited by ralphonz