Upgrade question How to avoid having to install 100+ AU plugins?

composerguy78

I am eager to upgrade my mac pro and I am wondering if there is a way to avoid having to download and install all my (third party) AU & VST plugins from scratch? 

Has anyone had any success transferring them somehow? Possibly using migration assistant? 

I would greatly appreciate any tips as that is something I am really not looking forward to!

Thx

Felix

• 4 weeks later...

I have this same question. I have ordered my new machine and I want the most transparent changeover possible. Literally if the new machine actually doesn't know its a new machine would be best..Haha, except for knowing it has more power and space etc.. 

The three options seem to be :

1. Migration Assistant

2. Start new machine from a Time Machine backup on an External Drive

3. Old machine cloned into a complete image inclusive of booting everything. Using CCC ? 

I know nothing about option 3 by the way. My biggest concern is losing plugins, losing projects and sample folders in the library for EXS, Trilllian, Superior Drummer, and losing songs/projects themselves. 

I don't want to have to download a terabyte of Apple content either. Or contact a number of plugin companies for new licenses waiting and pleading with people on email over different timezones.. 

Felix is probably the same but this machine change happens for me each 6 years and I am dreading it.. !!, I see many posts about this, but they are all significantly long enough ago to not be relevant. Has anyone done this recently??

Cheers SE

Reinstalling from scratch... have fun ;)

If you have a clone from your system disc, you can clone the whole disc to the new computer. But I wouldn't recommend that, if the OS on the clone is an "old" one. For example cloning a OS 10.7 with Logic 8 or so to a brand new Mac. This could raise issues. 

I clone discs, but I make sure that the destination can handle the OS. I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). It worked very well, when I cloned my iMac 2012 to my MacPro 2009. It was with Yosemite, or El Cap. And I have almost 400 plugins  :shock:

After that you still may need to re-authorize some plugins. So plan ahead and deauthorize them before you start cloning, otherwise you will loose license, respectively you may need to contact the support of that plugin. I had to do that ;) 

BTW: Deauthorizing plugins must be also done, when installing from scratch.