Logix 10.3.2: Aliases in User Loops don't work anymore [SOLVED]

stardustmedia
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

Hi

Anybody else experiencing this?

I have my 3rd party Apple Loops on an external disc and just add an alias into the User Loops folder. It worked flawless until I reindexed the library in 10.3.2 (because I added a new sample pack). Now all my "links" to the external disc are gone in Logic. Of course the original files are still there, but I cannot see them anymore in Logic's Apple Loop browser. 

Is this a bug or a new feature? What can I do?

I'd like to prevent to copy several hundreds of GB into the internal disc filling it up completely... :(

Edited by stardustmedia

• Solution

Hi,

All you need to do is drag and drop your 3rd party loops from your external drive onto the Loop Browser, and click on the "Current Location" button on the dialog that pops up in Logic.

1939245323_ScreenShot2017-09-01at22_50_50.png.a93126d5b7998ca85cb0b50521bc7fa4.png

This will create a symbolic link in ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/ pointing to your 3rd party loops on the external drive.

After this your loops should be available in the Loop Browser without even having to manually reindex.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I've the same problem.  All my custom loop packs are no longer in the browser since the update.  Had them on an external disk with an alias/symbolic link.  They're still there, so I tried to re-add them all choosing current location option and no luck.

I'm curious, @stardustmedia, did that work for you, or are yours still broken?  I've a sneaky sneaky suspicion that apple made a change to the actual Apple Loop format criteria that basically renders third-party loops incompatible.  

I'll explain - This is after doing some extensive troubleshooting with the Myriad app and the good folks at Audiofile Engineering - now called Aurchitect.  (Myriad is their audio & loop batch converter) and files I exported to Apple Loop out of the app stopped working (the files were going into the library fine, but no looping or flexing was honored).  I then noticed that the newer files did not have a "Follow Tempo" box in the region inspector, where the functional ones did.

So then we did a bit-by-bit comparison of one file AIF audiofile untouched, and then another that was converted to Apple Loop natively within logic (which always works but is a one-at-time workflow and not good for batching).  We found that they've added two markers at zero with names that are "Tempo: xx" and "Timestamp: xx".  So I was happy thinking problem solved and they're going to address it in next Myriad update.... HOWEVER...

That was all BEFORE 10.3.2 - now ALL of the third party loops that used to work (from mainstay sources like Samplemagic, Zenhieser, ModeAudio, etc) are expunged and will not re-import, so I'm freaking out a little as I've come to rely on my Loop Library heavily... I'm hoping I'm just missing something small and it's not something that would be catastrophic for some of us small sound library vendors and designers!  So I thought I'd check in here...

Can anyone else weigh in?

Joey

Interesting though, that Logic creates an alias itself, when I drag n drop the folder with the Apple Loops. But creating and copying an alias to the same folder doesn't work. 

Another bugger is that I now have to name the original folder in a way that makes sense, like "CREATOR/SELLER - LIBRARY NAME". Before that I just had "APPLE LOOPS". 

I wonder why the user cannot filter/search for the tag "Vendor" and "Collection". 

Hi,

Absolutely sure, even though the Finder shows them as being of kind "alias".

To check it, you can use the ls command in the terminal with the l flag (that's a lower case "L", for "long").

Running this command from ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/ will show you the symbolic link pointing to the location of your loops (wherever that may be). If it were an alias, you wouldn't see it pointing anywhere because the OSX terminal uses bash, which is a Unix shell, and Unix doesn't know anything about aliases, which is a OSX/Finder thing.

1061185726_ScreenShot2017-09-20at20_54_35.thumb.png.4c9fe99b64fdb28292b83ffeb7541415.png

J.

That was all BEFORE 10.3.2 - now ALL of the third party loops that used to work (from mainstay sources like Samplemagic, Zenhieser, ModeAudio, etc) are expunged and will not re-import, so I'm freaking out a little as I've come to rely on my Loop Library heavily... I'm hoping I'm just missing something small and it's not something that would be catastrophic for some of us small sound library vendors and designers!  So I thought I'd check in here...

Can anyone else weigh in?

I suspect you problem maybe related to something in the file system. Maybe corrupted/wrong permissions on files/folders that have something to do with Logic's Loop Browser. I've seen things like that before:

viewtopic.php?p=551552#p551552

You could maybe try creating a new user account in your system then try to add the loops from that account. If it works, then for sure it's something going on in the file system and/or your current user account.

J.

Hi,

Absolutely sure, even though the Finder shows them as being of kind "alias".

To check it, you can use the ls command in the terminal with the l flag (that's a lower case "L", for "long").

Running this command from ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/ will show you the symbolic link pointing to the location of your loops (wherever that may be). If it were an alias, you wouldn't see it pointing anywhere because the OSX terminal uses bash, which is a Unix shell, and Unix doesn't know anything about aliases, which is a OSX/Finder thing.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 20.54.35.png

J.

Thanks J