Looped MIDI Regions Playing Beyond Region Loop End

dysamoria
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

i have a project where i'm experiencing Logic playing non-existent MIDI notes AFTER the end of a looped region. The ghost notes being played are the first note of the region. After that note ends, it reverts to doing what it's supposed to do (nothing) on that track (this happens on two tracks; the MIDI region was copied from one track to the other, so the problem seems to be in this region but i cannot find anything wrong with it). There's nothing inside the region beyond the end point. If i disable the loop, the region plays as expected and ends as expected. With the region looped, the first note of the region gets played after the loop ends.

What's happening?? i've never seen this before. Has anyone else experienced this and figured out what the cause is?

Yes, i'm still on Logic 9.x...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, as noted in my original post, it's happening on two tracks.

What's the difference between using the loop region parameter and dragging from the right edge of the region? As far as i can tell, it's just the difference between enabling and controlling the looping length. The parameter is either on or off. Dragging a "loop off" region edge will turn it on and loop the region as far to the right as you drag.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you try to enable it and see if the problem goes away ?

if clip length is enabled any note extended beyond the region length will be cut off (sound)... if it is not checked, the note will sound its full duration even if the region ends prior to the note event ending. I guess I don't fully understand your question as described....

I'll try that. I had no idea what that feature was for.

The notes in my looped regions do not continue beyond the region. The last notes aren't the ones playing unwanted anyway. After the loop ends, the first note of the loop plays (but only the first note), despite there being no MIDI data there where the playback head is (the playback head is beyond the end of the loop when this note sounds, on two tracks).

You probably don't understand what I'm describing because what's happening makes absolutely zero sense at all. I'm presuming I've stumbled upon some kind of rare bug because nothing about what's happening makes any sense.

example loop problem.zip

example Logic 9.1.8 project exhibiting loop with phantom note after loop ends.

i copied the MIDI region from my project and inserted it into a new project, used a software synth from Logic, and it does the same thing. The loop persists in playing the first note of the region, after the playback head is beyond the looped region area. i am assuming there's something weird about the MIDI region itself and not the synths i was using in the original project. See attached.

Hi Eric,

This did indeed fix the problem. Thank you for finding what i missed! i *really* thought i'd already fixed that first note! Must have been on a different copy i fixed it in (i've copied and pasted this region a few times, and i must've unwittingly deleted the corrected version).

Any idea on the mechanics that makes it work this way? It seems... non-intuitive. How is the first note even playing at all if it's starting before the region beginning? Had the first note not played (as it would *appear* not to be able to), i would've caught the problem (and avoided this weird behavior).

Thanks again! :D

• 2 weeks later...