Logic 10.3.2 or 10.2.4 for old macbook pro?

kerochan

So I managed to upgrade my old Macbook Pro ,with only 4GB RAM, from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, and download Logic 10.3.2!

Its guess that 4gb RAM isnt powerful enough to run Logic 10.3.2 smoothly? I am getting occasional errors about system overload, changing the buffer size seems to help.

*Update, changed buffer size to 512, all completely fine, no error messages

But if I used Logic 10.2.4 instead, would this work better with my old system?

I have copy of Logic 10.2.4.

Edited by kerochan

You should try maxing out the audio buffer (I forget now if the max is 1024) - if you have not already done so. But that will also increase latency which could be an issue if you are trying to do simultaneous playback and recording.

Under Applications -> Utilities is the "Activity Monitor" program.  You could launch this, next launch Logic, then switch back to the Activity Monitor window (click on the memory tab) to see how much memory is in use.  I would hope that newer versions of Logic (apart from being faster), use memory more efficiently, but I have not done any tests.   

Even an old MacBook Pro from ~7 years ago that has only 2 memory slots and shipped with 4GB of RAM (2 GB in each slot) - can be upgraded to have 8G of RAM (4 GB in each slot max).  You can buy quality memory (limited lifetime warranty) from Crucial, http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/apple-memory, and there are videos on the OWC site that try to walk you thru upgrades, https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/   You just need to match the make/model of the machine you have (Apple symbol -> About this Mac, then get the line from the description "MacBook Pro (model is here)" - when finding the memory on the web site.  If you are not comfortable with taking things apart and/or being careful with static sensitive parts (like memory chips), then maybe you know or can find a good tech who can upgrade your machine.   8 GB of Crucial memory for an old MacBook Pro looks to be something like $80, and if a tech charges you $40/hour, then you could double the memory in your old MacBook for ~$120 (should not take more than an hour to do this).