Logic still can't do a smooth pitch sweep with TestOsc

Chrispire

I want to automate the pitch of Logic's TestOsc plugin to create a smooth pitch sweep with a sine wave, but unfortunately TestOsc's pitch can only move in very chunky increments. 

For example, try automating a sweep from 300 Hz to 100 Hz over 30 seconds. You will hear the pitch jumping in 10 Hz increments until it reaches 200 Hz, and will then move in 5 Hz increments. 

For sound design purposes I need accurate, automatable control over the pitch of sine waves. Seems like an incredibly basic, fundamental task for any audio production software, but Logic has been unable to do this for years. 

Can anyone think of a workaround???

try something with the default tone in the exs24; it's a basic sine wave (i use it as a deep bass a lot)...

I'd considered that, but unfortunately I need to be able to specify the exact frequencies within 1 Hz or smaller increments. For example, I might need to slide from exactly 110 Hz to 105 Hz. I could probably get close with EXS24 tones by fiddling around with pitch bending, but unfortunately this is one of those occasions where close enough is not good enough. (Still, I'll try this approach and see how close I can get).

Being able to produce sine waves is not the problem. Being able to set and modulate their frequency accurately is. The simplicity of the TestOsc plugin is great because you can enter specific values into it. Where it falls down is in the big stepladder increments it applies to frequency changes.

I wonder if there are any other frequency generating plugins that might offer more precise control?

Have you tried fiddling with the Sine Sweep side of that same plugin?

You could adjust the duration, the range, the direction, the lin/log scale mode of the sweep.

The freq dial increment does in/de/crement in 10Hz steps, but the heard sound is smoothly continuous and visually it graduates at 0.1Hz resolution. So if you wish to raise from 100hz to 105hz in 10 seconds, adjust the range from 100Hz to 110Hz and set the speed to 20 seconds, and stop the recording after 10 seconds...

Good thinking Atlas007. Unfortunately in my case this still won't give me the level of control I need.

For example, one of the things I sometimes use TestOsc for is to create binaural beats, which are comprised of two sine waves panned hard left and right, at very specific frequencies. I need to be able to modulate those frequencies within 0.1 Hz accuracy over long periods of time (anywhere from 10 min to an hour or more).

I've been using Logic for 20 years and in the past I used TestOsc to achieve this, but at some stage the plugin changed so that automated frequency changes would move in steps, rather than a smooth transition.

What I want to achieve would actually be very simple with a plugin that allows accurate frequency automation, and it was achievable in the past, but it looks like Logic can't do this anymore.

No luck with MOscillator. Automated frequency changes jump up and down in audible steps. I presume this is because Logic's way of dealing with a wide range of possible values (i.e. 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz) is to divide them into a limited number of increments. If this is the case then the same problem will probably arise with all oscillator type plugins. Sigh.

Found a really basic program called Gnaural. It was designed to create binaural beats and allows very accurate control over sine waves. It's a standalone program so not nearly as convenient as using a plugin inside Logic, but it will probably do the trick.

Thanks to all, and if anyone has any other great ideas for creating specific, accurate sine frequencies with fine automation control in Logic, please chime in.

Good question Atlas007. Binaural beats are not the same as "beats" in the usual sense of the word. They are a specific type of sound that occurs when you combine two sine waves together that have slightly different frequencies. The sound waves cancel each other out periodically as they move in and out of phase with each other. This makes them sound like they are "beating".  For example, if you combine a 100 Hz sine with a 105 Hz sine you'd hear a 5 Hz beating sound.

These sounds are sometimes used for therapeutic purposes (i.e. relaxation and sleep induction).

Thanx for the explanations. As an occasional bass player, I use that "beating" effect phenomenon to tune my bass sometimes.

If I understand well, you intend to fluctuate sine waves frequencies from another one.

That sounds a little like low frequency FM synthesis, but modulating the modulator over the carrier...

I wonder if you could modulate the playback speed of a sine wave from a flexed track (or a custom Apple loop) via the project tempo (using a fader object or automation or varispeed perhaps) against a SMPTE locked fix sine wave other track? If that would be possible, that would require some calculation in order to achieve precise results you were mentioning...