Heavy distortion on drag-and-dropped .WAV file

I.M. Groot

It sounds like you're using a 32 bit floating point file. Try using a 24 bit file, or converting the file to 24 bit (with some other audio app) before you drag and drop the 24 bit file into Logic. 

Hi David, 

I thought Logic converted the file to 24-bit already, but I guess not?

Can you recommend a good free app that does the conversion?

Hi,

I thought Logic converted the file to 24-bit already, but I guess not?

It should convert them automatically (see attached pic). You'll know because both file and region name will get "-24b" appended to them...and of course you'll see it in the Project's File Browser.

369607313_ScreenShot2017-09-08at14_22_27.thumb.png.2cc35fa789c9109bd9b552a782313f79.png

Can't remember under which circumstances it won't convert them...

Otherwise the tools mentioned here are good and free (XLD).

J.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped me with this. I tried all the suggestions, and I finally got it to work.

I think what finally solved my problem was exporting the file (from Presonus Notion) as a 24-bit file (rather than trying to convert it to one afterward).

I say I think that's what solved the problem, because I had tried this solution previously and it didn't work--but apparently this time around I must have done something differently. (Maybe it was following triplets' advice and importing from the Project Browser, rather than dragging-and-dropping directly from the Finder.)

Anyway, thanks again for helping me figure this out.