Midi routing question

Dewdman42

The issue that comes up with a lot of people on LPX is trying to use various midi oriented plugins inside of a mixer channel, that output midi which can't escape the mixer channel by any other way, other than the external instrument plugin, through IAC and back into LPX.    

As I was saying earlier, DP has the ability to create midi busses which can basically be accessed from pretty much anywhere, so routing midi from here to there in DP is dead simple, obvious, clear and explicit.  With LPX, it can't always be done.   If Apple will ever provide a way for midi in a mixer channel to be output through the mixer object's cable connector...then this issue would be solved.    I feel that DP's midi buss concept is very straight forward, concise and easy to figure out and easy to see visually what is going on in a project.  LPX Environment cablings can sometimes be a bit complicated, even for a simple purpose that could be solved easily with midi busses.   Yes, you can do some tricky stuff in the environment.  But then sometimes simple tasks are overly complicated there.

If Apple will ever provide a way for midi in a mixer channel to be output through the mixer object's cable connector...then this issue would be solved...

LPX Environment cablings can sometimes be a bit complicated, even for a simple purpose that could be solved easily with midi busses.   Yes, you can do some tricky stuff in the environment.  But then sometimes simple tasks are overly complicated there.

Amen!

Which is why so little people uses it, and for those who has to resort to it, do so reluctantly. Which, in someway, has the negative effect on the developpers team to invest less effort into improving a feature that few people uses anyway...

Have you posted a feature request about same on the Logic Feedback website?

• 2 years later...
Forget about demixing multiple tracks at the same time simultaneously for right now, I wasn't referring to that.

Let's say I have two different external devices.  I don't want to use them both at the exact same time, but I want to switch back and forth between recording midi to one track or the other.

Why do you think the benefits of auto demix is only related to simultaneity?

Here are two videos..... Sorry for the quality - I did them quick.

The first one shows selecting different tracks at will, without actually highlighting them.  Then I show disabling midi thru - which you can verify by watching the Midi IN/Midi Out display at the top.  You can also see it becomes effective after I record toggle. 

The 2nd video I show you don't even have to record on the same multi - I created a track and assigned it no output.  Then disabled midi thru - then recorded and they recorded correctly.. Just as if I would have selected  the tracks headers.   Auto demix is very powerful and allows full flexibility. 

test1.gif

test2.gif

I'm now trying to set mine up too this way but in video 2 I did the same thing but it still is echoing out the MIDI. I feel like I am missing a step.