Midi routing question

Dewdman42

I have a dream.  Anyone know if this is possible in logic in any fashion...

I want to set things up so that midi events coming into LPX input ports will be recorded to an external midi track (or instrument track with ext inst plugin) while NOT sending those same events on to the external device.  But then also: without having to change any settings, events which are already recorded to regions on the same track, during playback I want them to go to the external device.

So already-recorded midi goes out, incoming midi gets recorded without going out.  Ideally both modes happening at the same time.  In other words, not an environment switch or changing some channels settings back and forth between one mode or the other to disable output, renable output, etc..  I want to know if I can have region data on a track going out to the external midi dest while blocking midi that is in the process of being played or recorded from going out.   Solutions could include complicated environment and/or Scripter stuff, but right now I'm not even sure it would possible..

Is this possible?

Yes - just disable midi thru for the instrument on the record enabled "selected" track. I am on a plane right but I think the setting is in project settings-> midi.... (instrument without midi thru) you wil need to select the instrument object in the drop down without a channel number if you want to disable midi thru for all 16 channels.

One last trick - after you make the change in settings you will need to toggle the record enable button on the track to activate the change.

Most people think this feature doesn't work because after they make the change, midi still goes to the external device. That is because after you change the value, its state is only re-read when you transition the track to record enabled. So if you already have it selected,  the change won't be detected  - until you toggle record enable off and on.

You only have to do this once, after you change the midi thru setting.

I'm trying to find some more information about that project setting.  The manual doesn't say  much.  The available settings are

No Output

Folder

Input Notes

MIDI click

As well as one of my IAC ports is listed as well as 16 midi channel versions of it.  Why it doesn't display any other of my IAC midi ports, I do not know.  I don't have a midi controller hooked up to this computer.  Maybe it always displays the "first" midi port only but ignores the rest?  Anyone know about that?

and what are some of the other settings like "(Folder)" and "Input Notes"??

well I think I sorta figured out my own question.  this drop down list appears to represent certain objects that are in the environment.  

"Input Notes" is the keyboard object on the clicks and ports page by default.

"MIDI Click" is the midi click object that is also on the clicks and ports page by default

I haven't been able to figure out what "(Folder)" corresponds to.

Everything else on the list will be pretty much any and all environment objects which can also potentially be selected for a track to be reassigned to, so not all environment objects fit that use, but a lot of them do and they will all be on the list if they are present in the current environment, even if they don't actually correspond to actual stuff you would send midi to from tracks.  Well MIxer objects don't appear either, but touch tracks, faders, GM mixers, and all kinds of other stuff, they will all appear on this drop down if they are used in the environment, it seems.

And basically you can pick one of them to withhold thru from.  

Its not clear to me right now whether using "Input Notes" would work for disabling thru on everything, maybe, since its typically in line for all input to the sequencer, but if this is meant to only apply to an instrument that is assigned to the output of at least one track, then I guess not..  Not clear to me.  Maybe not.

if you can only disable one instrument for thru for the project this way, that is kind of a pain, it seems like you'd have to go into project settings every time you want to record on a different track going to a different instrument that way.  Maybe i'm not understanding it right yet though.

I have seen some references here on this thread from a few years ago about an environment patch that supposedly will disable thru a bit more globally, but I don't understand how it works yet.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=114689

oh and another thing...  based on what I am seeing, neither approach will block thru when using ext inst plugin on an instrument track, that I can see, since they appear to need to drop in place of the output destination midi instruments, which doesn't exist when using the ext inst plugin.  

But maybe there is still a way.  If the environment trick can be plugged into the clicks and ports page before the sequencer input...will that block thru globally?  I read something like that on another forum somewhere, but again, it wasn't clear to me what they were suggesting...

alright...  I figured out a few things...  for anyone interested....

1. the project setting that has been mentioned will only work for one outgoing instrument at a time. This requires that you have created a midi instrument or multi instrument object in the environment that corresponds to your external keyboard, so that it will appear in the dropdown dialog.

2. you can also make the above work with the external instrument plugin by creating an instrument object in the environment and cabling that to the mixer object hosting the ext inst plugin.  Then reassign the track to that instead of directly to the instrument mixer channel.

3. The other method mentioned in the thread I quoted is more complicated to setup, but you can actually have more than one instrument with thru disabled at the same time that way.  Basically for each external instrument you use, you create not only an instrument object in the env, but actually instrument->fader->instrument, as mentioned in the other thread.  That will disable thru for each one.   or you could use a switch to make it easily switchable.

So unless I'm missing something, I do have to say its nice to know its possible, but its a little disappointing that in 2017, LPX requires such fiddling around to disable midi thru on a track by track basis.  I do prefer method 3 though since I can have all external keyboards without midi thru, but having to cable up the extra stuff for every track is a bit annoying.  the simple method using project settings avoids that, and if you only need to disable thru on one ext instrument, then no problem, but if you have more then one, I find that more annoying.

This is a great discussion, but unfortunately I cannot write a full training manual on this subject covering all permutations and variations (  I would miss my kids growing up :) ).  So let's try to narrow the focus, in a more specific Q/A type interaction, correct some misunderstandings on how Midi routing works. 

Based on what I read above,  there are a number of incorrect fundamental statements that will ( if not correctly understood, will misguide you as you attempt to understand what is happening "under the hood"

the project setting that has been mentioned will only work for one outgoing instrument at a time. T

This is an incorrect statement...If you are trying to get multiple external controllers to work independently and simultaneously you need to be in multiplayer mode (auto demix enabled).  In this mode only one track needs to be selected ("highlight") ( for any of the 4 keyboards to be played live or recorded) - you do not have to select one of their specific tracks.... As a result you only have to disable midi thru on 'ONE" instrument object. Since all midi will arrive at this one object ( regardless of which ext controller is used)... midi thru is disable for all. 

Remember : ALL MIDI ARRIVES ON THE SELECTED TRACK - PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! however if autodemix is enabled, the instrument object associated with the select track, routes the input (after it arrives at the instrument object on the selected track) to a track which has assigned to it the same midi channel as that of the arriving midi channel data.  I highly encourage you to create a dummy track and instrument object assigned to that track  and keep this track selected and highlighted ( at all times)  as you build your configuration so you can see incrementally how this all works. You will then begin to understand the way midi routing works in Logic. 

When I teach this concept interactively, for the purpose of visually understanding - I always use a dummy track - and only the dummy track gets selected, midi thru disabled on  it and recorded onto...This demonstrates that to record or play live on any of your 4 tracks via your 4 synths - you don't have to have one of those tracks selected. You can, but it is not necessary and as your are learning often creates confusion - therefore, disabling midi thru only on the selected track -> disables midi thru for all ext controllers/synths selected.  Using a midi monitoring with logic can also help visualize what is happening here also.

you can also make the above work with the external instrument plugin by creating an instrument object in the environment and cabling that to the mixer object hosting the ext inst plugin.  Then reassign the track to that instead of directly to the instrument mixer channel.

do not use the external instrument plugin for now - This was created to simplify the use and configuration external instruments but masks how midi routing works and has some limitations. 

The other method mentioned in the thread I quoted is more complicated to setup, but you can actually have more than one instrument with thru disabled at the same time that way.  Basically for each external instrument you use, you create not only an instrument object in the env, but actually instrument->fader->instrument, as mentioned in the other thread.  That will disable thru for each one.   or you could use a switch to make it easily switchable

Yes this method provides total flexibility and allows for creative interconnection where you need midi thru for some and want to filter midi thru for others concurrently in real time. 

So there is a lot of convoluted information here in talking about external instrument plugins, external midi tracks, SI tracks, midi routing, multiplayer vs single player, the midi arrives on the selected track concept while playing instrument on other tracks, disabling midi thru based on the preference, based on which instrument object you use or using the fader trick in the environment..... 

So if you are up for it - let's go back to defining and understanding the original goal - as we work through the implementation - some of the basics will become obvious and that way we can achieve the objective, you will start to feel good about what logic and do and start to really understand how midi routing works....

Plus once we make its work - I can show you some variations - that will make you say  - wow that is cool. 

If you don't and just want to continue to ask specific questions - that's fine too -

the project setting that has been mentioned will only work for one outgoing instrument at a time. 

This is an incorrect statement...If you are trying to get multiple external controllers to work independently and simultaneously you need to be in multiplayer mode (auto demix enabled).  In this mode only one track needs to be selected ("highlight") ( for any of the 4 keyboards to be played live or recorded) - you do not have to select one of their specific tracks.... As a result you only have to disable midi thru on 'ONE" instrument object. Since all midi will arrive at this one object ( regardless of which ext controller is used)... midi thru is disable for all. 

One of us is not understanding the other, though its not clear yet whom.  Forget about demixing multiple tracks at the same time simultaneously for right now, I wasn't referring to that.

Let's say I have two different external devices.  I don't want to use them both at the exact same time, but I want to switch back and forth between recording midi to one track or the other.  The Project Setting allows for only one of them to be filtering out Thru messages.  So..  I'd have to go into project settings each time I switch the track to record to in order to have thru turned off for the track I want to work with at that moment.  That is kind of a headache.  If I have 3 or 4 external devices that I pretty much always want to use without midi thru, I don't see how this project setting can allow that possibility.  I'd have to keep going back into project settings over and over to change which one to block thru messages as I work.

When I teach this concept interactively, for the purpose of visually understanding - I always use a dummy track - and only the dummy track gets selected, midi thru disabled on  it and recorded onto...This demonstrates that to record or play live on any of your 4 tracks via your 4 synths - you don't have to have one of those tracks selected. You can, but it is not necessary and as your are learning often creates confusion - therefore, disabling midi thru only on the selected track -> disables midi thru for all ext controllers/synths selected.  

Ok, that is interesting, I will experiment with that...though I usually prefer to have demixing disabled unless I truly need to record to more than one track simultaneously because I find Logic's select-the-track-to-record-enable-it functionality to be wonky enough without demixing engaged.  99.99% of the time I am recording to one track at a time.  Anyway, I will check out the underlined bit you said above to see what is possible there, though to me it looks more convoluted then simply using the old school environment trick.

do not use the external instrument plugin for now - This was created to simplify the use and configuration external instruments but masks how midi routing works and has some limitations. 

There are pros and cons both ways, I see no reason to not use ext inst at some times.  Using External Instrument plugin provides a way to use Midi Plugins with external midi devices, for example.  I use Scripter a lot.  The only reason I mentioned that was because on the other thread from two years ago, the guy that presented this environment trick specifically mentioned that he didn't think it could be used with Ext Inst plugin, but I'm just saying, it can be.  

And the project setting you mentioned can also be used with it...but you have to wire up a midi instrument that connects to the mixer channel so that it will show up in the project settings dropdown.  But back to my original point, only one midi instrument can be configured in project settings to block midi-thru.

I will send some screen shots shortly, but here is a logic project with the environment trick in it for anyone needing it.

midithru.logicx.zip

Edited by Dewdman42

Here are some screenshots from the project environment I shared on the previous post...

First here is the project settings that has been mentioned as a solution to block midi thru on one external midi instrument at a time.  Note that the instruments that appear on the dropdown are the ones from the current environment.

projectsettings.jpg.9b7bd85e7a93618e7eba3b39d0f9f014.jpg

Here is the environment setup I created.  its a little more complicated then the one mentioned on the other thread 2 years ago, because I wanted to wire a cable switcher into it for turning it on and off easily and to eventually pack it into a macro:

macro.jpg.6406716a3fa197f7cc4ce14b73a3b621.jpg

Here is the configuration for the fader object being used.  Note the "Filter" parameter is set to "Thru".

faderconfig.jpg.fb670dee51183641fe9d859dbd6c2095.jpg

Here I have packed that circuit into a macro and then created several different use cases of it...  one for a midi instrument, one for a multi, one for a mapped instrument and one for the case of ext inst plugin on a mixer channel.  In order to turn off midi thru, click on the switch button for it in this environment layer.

usingmacros.jpg.b3260e3131701a9f25a38bab5b588592.jpg

Finally, you reassign the one of the above mentioned midi instruments to track output.

reassign.jpg.59ae766767add1d5067f570ff6eabb69.jpg

Forget about demixing multiple tracks at the same time simultaneously for right now, I wasn't referring to that.

Let's say I have two different external devices.  I don't want to use them both at the exact same time, but I want to switch back and forth between recording midi to one track or the other.

Why do you think the benefits of auto demix is only related to simultaneity?

Here are two videos..... Sorry for the quality - I did them quick.

The first one shows selecting different tracks at will, without actually highlighting them.  Then I show disabling midi thru - which you can verify by watching the Midi IN/Midi Out display at the top.  You can also see it becomes effective after I record toggle. 

The 2nd video I show you don't even have to record on the same multi - I created a track and assigned it no output.  Then disabled midi thru - then recorded and they recorded correctly.. Just as if I would have selected  the tracks headers.   Auto demix is very powerful and allows full flexibility. 

test1.thumb.gif.b140d5c60a359e046c2ce8fa78a10679.gif

test2.thumb.gif.45562e7392cb704b4395b994319751e8.gif

But back to my original point, only one midi instrument can be configured in project settings to block midi-thru.

Oh yea... and for this point... Generally speaking...

That is because you are only ever are recording to one instrument object at a time and using the autodemix option provides the ability to never have to change which track the midi data is arriving on....  By default That is why there isn't a midi thru disablement mechanisms for each instrument object. (Even though there is a way around this using the faders in the environment). 

And BTW there is no right or wrong on this subject - It is about workflow, understanding, speed and need - each of us has to choose what works best for them. I am just trying to help make sure one's understanding is correct so that in fact the best option can be chosen and compared with a factual basis. 

So what is the official role, purpose or function of selecting a track in the arrangement view? In non Demix mode this automatically changes which track is record enabled, but perhaps the selected track has other responsibilities besides being the current record-enabled track? In multi demix mode we manually enable record mode for the tracks we want to record on, so then what is the role, function or purpose of the currently selected track, which may or may not be record enabled?

Your demo implies that even though the selected track is not enabled for record, any other record enabled tracks are having their data funneled through the selected one in some way, either before or after recording to their own tracks. Thus the Thru filter is able to block all the thru data that went to all of those selected tracks while still recording that data to each of them. So the selected track obviously has another role different from record enabling which is how a lot of people seem to think about it. I'm curious what other behavior comes along with being the currently selected track.

This is neat behavior, thanks for explaining it. Setting up the dummy track or picking one to be the master "Selected" one that will globally turn off thru for any record enabled tracks, is key. I will mess around with both approaches at some point.

In general I am not a fan AT ALL of logic's select-the-track-to-get-built-in-routing-behavior-that-we-are-just-supposed-to-know-about. I can't tell you how many times I have set up a midi plugin that needed to route back through IAC and then I selected the wrong track and got a midi loop. I much prefer setting explicit Checkboxes. In some ways that makes demix mode better perhaps because the record enabled tracks are explicit, compared to the other mode where selecting the track changes it. But it seems like I have run into weirdness in demix mode also when I accidentally clicked on the wrong track header and some routing changed internally in unexpected ways. No me gusta.

That being said, it is what it is; I will play around with that feature it's certainly a way to set up quick thru off globally or off globally. I think the environment trick is interesting in that you can choose specific instruments you want with thru or others without, in a mixed way. It's more explicit, no hidden routing behavior. It can also be combined with the demix mode technique you just described, to get global Thru turned off by selecting that control track.

So what is the official role, purpose or function of selecting a track in the arrangement view?  In non Demix mode this automatically changes which track is record enabled, but perhaps the selected track has other responsibilities besides being the current record-enabled track?  In multi demix mode we manually enable record mode for the tracks we want to record on, so then what is the role, function or purpose of the currently selected track, which may or may not be record enabled?

Great questions....

In non demix mode - it allows for layering ( alias on the other tracks) and channelizing of midi data regardless of what channel the data arrives on.  In demix mode the role currently select track is " the catch all track" when there is no defined route or basically the same as in non demix mode - which is why I normally leave it enabled all the time. The fact you are asking these questions means you are understanding the various midi routings and trying to determine the advantages / disadvantages.

Your demo implies that even though the selected track is not enabled for record, any other record enabled tracks are having their data funneled through the selected one in some way, either before or after recording to their own tracks. Thus the Thru filter is able to block all the thru data that went to all of those selected tracks while still recording that data to each of them.

Yes sir - that is correct!

So the selected track obviously has another role different from record enabling which is how a lot of people seem to think about it. I'm curious what other behavior comes along with being the currently selected track.

Yes it is really the instrument object on that track that does the magic - the track itself is just paired with that object and serves to catch all data unless there is another track that is record enabled and is using the same midi channel for its output. Logic is not driven based on midi channel INPUT ( only output). All midi input regardless of which synth or which port comes in on the selected track (actually the instrument object assigned to that track) ( The environment does provide for ways to filter, channelize, redirect, etc, but these are advanced exception rules).

Unless you see the dummy track concept ( in this case the one with the same multi or the one with no output )- it can be hard to understand the dissociation of the select midi track from the instrument itself.... This is what makes logic amazing and more flexible than any other DAW ( for midi) in my opinion - I can have it match my studio environment no matter how complicated.

Next subject.... you should not have to disable midi thru when using software instruments midi channel strips (currently) do not send midi through its output. Therefore, for now ( although I think this may change in the future) - the only time you have to be concerned with midi loops and midi thru is when using external gear.

so if your are using the IAC to roundtrip the midi data.... make sure the track that is selected during playback/recording has midi thru disabled  and this should solve any issues.  Yes it is hard sometimes to remember to keep that track selected.

That being said, it is what it is; I will play around with that feature it's certainly a way to set up quick thru off globally or off globally. I think the environment trick is interesting in that you can choose specific instruments you want with thru or others without, in a mixed way. It's more explicit, no hidden routing behavior. It can also be combined with the demix mode technique you just described, to get global Thru turned off by selecting that control track.

I agree, but wanted to make sure you we were on the same page in understanding how it all works before you reached that conclusion....

Thanks for the great discussion and hopefully it will help others who are learning....

So I think I'm kind of getting that the SequencerInput object in the env, pretty much corresponds to the currently selected track. On that track you can apply some simple channelizing perhaps, then whatever comes through that, goes on to hit whatever tracks are record enabled. In non-demix mode, all the record enabled tracks I guess would record everything... In demix mode, the incoming midi channels will determine which record enabled track get to record them...

Still not clear to me how and when the incoming "thru" notes are passed along (or not) from the selected control track.....

So the selected track obviously has another role different from record enabling which is how a lot of people seem to think about it. I'm curious what other behavior comes along with being the currently selected track.

Yes it is really the instrument object on that track that does the magic - the track itself is just paired with that object and serves to catch all data unless there is another track that is record enabled and is using the same midi channel for its output. Logic is not driven based on midi channel INPUT ( only output). All midi input regardless of which synth or which port comes in on the selected channel ( The environment does provide for ways to filter, channelize, redirect, etc, but these are advanced exception rules).

you lost me a little bit here. Which magic are you referring to? So the dummy track needs a midi instrument object assigned to it for using the project setting we've been talking about, but is there any other reason?

Next subject.... you should not have to disable midi thru when using software instruments midi channel strips (currently) do not send midi through its output. Therefore, for now ( although I think this may change in the future) - the only time you have to be concerned with midi loops and midi thru is when using external gear.

Yes of course, I agree. There might be some reasons for having some external gear needing midi-thru and some others not. In my case, I want all external gear without midi thru, pretty much ever. But what I am wondering is if we are using the dummy control track's midi instrument to mute midi-thru on all currently record enabled tracks... what that mute stuff going to software instrument tracks also if they were also record enabled at the same time? Its not clear to me how and when the midi-thru filtering is happening in the above magic box.

so if your are using the IAC to roundtrip the midi data.... make sure the track that is selected during playback/recording has midi thru disabled  and this should solve any issues.  Yes it is hard sometimes to remember to keep that track selected.

Well this is mainly only when I have a midi plugin that needs to send midi out to IAC in order to get it back to other tracks in LOGIC back in through the sequencerInput. anyway, I can't remember the details exactly now but I had situations where I'd click on a track and some routing would go into effect that would force me to forceQuite LPX. Annoying. I've found better ways, host the midi plugin on a mixer channel that is not assigned to any tracks, so that the midi won't loop, for example. I just personally don't like the fact that LPX dynamically changes the routing based on which track header is selected. I don't like that work flow. Its entirely possible that if I get used to working that way I won't mind it as much. In general, I prefer more explicitness.

here is another interesting variation...

1/ single midi keyboard - only transmitting on channel 1

2/ can be used for live playback or recording

3/ select track number in the box and the corresponding track records or plays live.

So which track you hear or record is controlled via the selectable parameter.

Again just shows what you can do with auto demix enabled 

1109810870_anothervariation.thumb.gif.6d913863b6e6d1288cc6524cf82847b4.gif

you lost me a little bit here. Which magic are you referring to? So the dummy track needs a midi instrument object assigned to it for using the project setting we've been talking about, but is there any other reason?

Tracks in Logic have instrument objects assigned to them.....

Since a track is selected when you record - one of those objects is active ( the one on the selected track) - it is that object for which midi thru needs to be disabled and only those objects show up in the drop down parameter list. 

There are 

midi instrument object, multi instrument objects, mapped instrument objects ( and others not important right now)....  There are some special objects...

No Output object - 

Folder Object -

Any track which is selected and assigned to any of the above - is what needs to be selected to disable midi thru..... because that is the instrument object receiving the live midi stream and sending it back out the connected port.

In my case I intend to have all midi routed from controller to other external midi devices directly inside the MOTU midi interface.   This means that when I switch from recording on one device to another...I will have to make a change in the MOTU midi interface to perform that routing there, plus choose whichever track I'm going to record to (without thru).  So something like that would be useful, i'm presuming your switch is channelizing the incoming midi so that it ends up on the right track.  But I will have to do something a bit more elaborate that actually sends a program change to the MOTU interface also.

Any track which is selected and assigned to any of the above - is what needs to be selected to disable midi thru..... because that is the instrument object receiving the live midi stream and sending it back out the connect port.

If I have 5 tracks with different midi instruments assigned to each one, which go out to 5 different external synths.  Then I have a 6th "control" track, the one that will be selected, which has its own midi instrument that does not send to anywhere externally..  its only there, as far as I can figure, so that it will show up on the project settings list you mentioned.  What is not clear is how that particular midi object has any effect on the 5 other midi instruments that the other 5 midi tracks have assigned to them.  The 5 tracks are record enabled, the selected control track is not.  What is the magic you spoke of before?  when and where does the midi going to those 5 midi intruments from the 5 record enabled tracks; get funneled back through the selected control track in order to mute the thru data?

forget the word magic is a metaphor...

Midi thru is only a concept relative to the instrument object on the currently active track. 

The midi routing works as such....

Midi exits the physical input and enters the sequencer ( the sequence is analogous to the currently selected track).

And that currently selected track is assign and instrument object - Midi hits that instrument object and then in record mode mode) routed to the track ( container for the incoming midi) and also out to the defined midi out port in Live mode ( this is the midi thru).  AND ONLY IMPACTS THE MIDI PORT DEFINED ON THE INSTRUMENT OBJECT ASSIGNED TO THE ACTIVE TRACK. (READ THE PREV SENTENCE AGAIN.... VERY IMPORTANT

During Live mode and once the recording is complete ( on the currently selected track) logic Looks to see if any of the incoming data recorded matches the channel of an assigned track within the arrangement... If in LIVE MODE - then the midi data is routed same way except in real time and the events are sent to the correctly designed midi port ( say synth 4) and post recording  same rule and if true - the events are then copied to that midi track ( so future playback will play those notes out to synth 4). There is no midi thru concern or connection on any of the 5 synth tracks as long as none of them were highlighted/selected during live playback or recording. It is the autodemix feature that enables this routing and is not related to Midi Thru. However on the one track that is selected when you play a note it is routed not only to that track via the instrument object but also back around via midi thru to the designated output port. 

So if you have 6 tracks 5 designed to synths and one dummy track - the dummy track object is all that should be of concern.....

If you decide to use 5 tracks ( any of the 5 synth tracks to be selected when you record or play live) and you can do this.. no problem...

Then THAT SELECTED tracks instrument object is the only one you have be concerned with. This is where you would need to go in and make the change to the preferences midi thru item.... and constantly changing which track you have selected will force this process.  Which is why I like the no output dummy track - it clear, obvious I should have that selected and if anything goes wrong - such as I think there are only 3 midi channels being recorded but I get more - they show up on the output track as they were not routed ( assuming I did not create tracks for all 16 midi channels ).

You are so close.....experiment and play with the different permutations and see if you can predict the behavior before it occurs.

Unfortunately the above was too hard for me to understand. If it's that hard to explain, then it's not a good design, Fwiw. I don't mean to rag on LPX, but yes this aspect of it, I don't like; all the built in automagical midi routing. No thanks. I will stick with the old school environment trick to disable Thru explicitly. I do like however the prospect of using demix mode and the switch you Demo'd, which I will have to do something even more elaborate but that is not a bad working mode.

As a comparison I have used DP a lot in the past and while it doesn't have anything like the LPX environment, the routing is all explicit, clear, understandable and as it turns out you can actually route midi from about anywhere to anywhere else inside the DAW, something we cannot do with LPX. just sayin'

How do you route midi from a plugin on one track to another track (without resorting to IAC)?  Can't be done in LPX.

Not sure I fully understand what the end result to be achieved would be....

Here I am taking the output of the chord trigger which is a plugin on one track and sending it to the vintage B3 track

956976680_pluginroutetotrack.thumb.gif.982f4ee733ad0cd9cf9a364d6e7a43f0.gif