Best way to apply a silence fx on many tracks at once for a couple of seconds

jp44

I want to apply a silence on many tracks at once, so far I do it this way, I have a gainfilter on all tracks and use an automation on all tracks on this filter trying to synchronize them, but that not very handy, and each time I want to move the silence a bit, I have to do it on all tracks. So I was asking myself if there's a smartest way to do this.

Thx

Thank you, I just try this. I automated the mute button on the Aux, but nothing happen on the tracks I send to the bus corresponding this aux. That might be due to the fact I don't master the buses yet.  When I send a track on the bust, I have a gain parameter to set, I tried from -INF to +6DB and nothing fixed it.

Note that I tried also to automate the volume on the AU, and it doesn't affect teh tracks I send to this bus.

I tried also with a gain filter on the Bus, and when I automate the gain on the aux, it changed the output level on each tracks, but it looks that the things we do on the bus are ADDED to the tracks, and I kind of need to REMOVE here, so maybe I can't do this, I don't know...

Wait, I thought it was solved, but the mute on the bus/aux, still doesn't affect the tracks. The gain o the aux is affecting the tracks, but additively, I looks like can add gain on all tracks, but not remove.

Here is how it's set now, is that looks correct ?

screen2.jpg.41285c351bb508b3780022fe205bfa71.jpg

• 3 months later...
OK, finally after so long, I made it work. The screenshot above was correct except that when the bus 18 was muted, there was still audio sent to bus 3. So to mute completely the track I had to turn off bus 3 (to make it look like bus 4 on the screen shot).

Wait, I thought it was solved, but the mute on the bus/aux, still doesn't affect the tracks. The gain o the aux is affecting the tracks, but additively, I looks like can add gain on all tracks, but not remove.

Here is how it's set now, is that looks correct ?

I'm curious what the sound is coming from this channel strip. Would you mind sending a sample?

Actually it was a test song I made to understand how applying effects/filters on grouped tracks work, and I deleted it.

I forgot to say something in my previous post. Using a bus instead of "stereo output" for 2 tracks in a test song, increased a LOT the CPU use. After doing this, I couldn't play the song more than 2 seconds without the "cpu warning" popup. Once I removed the bus intermediary (sending those 2 tracks directly to the stereo output), the song was playing fine again. So it's really a great option on the paper, but not usable for my config (mac book pro late 2011 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB).

Do you have the Marquee strip visible on your projects? What I do in those situation is make a selection on the Marquee strip where I want tracks to mute. It will select all tracks and then you can either press Backspace to delete all Marquee selection or use the Mute regions/selection key command to mute them all in one go(not the Mute channel strip kc). If you want some of the tracks to continue playing, unmute those regions that were created and muted when using the key command.

Blink

I forgot to say something in my previous post. Using a bus instead of "stereo output" for 2 tracks in a test song, increased a LOT the CPU use. After doing this, I couldn't play the song more than 2 seconds without the "cpu warning" popup. Once I removed the bus intermediary (sending those 2 tracks directly to the stereo output), the song was playing fine again. So it's really a great option on the paper, but not usable for my config (mac book pro late 2011 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB).

You can mitigate this CPU overload problem by selecting a track in the Tracks window that isn't connected to a Live instrument like ES2 or Alchemy. I’ll create a MIDI track without an output specifically for selecting during playback if I’m having overload issues and it works like a charm.

OK, finally after so long, I made it work. The screenshot above was correct except that when the bus 18 was muted, there was still audio sent to bus 3. So to mute completely the track I had to turn off bus 3 (to make it look like bus 4 on the screen shot).

If the Aux receiving bus 3 should be completely muted along with all the other tracks, set its output to bus 18.

Do you have the Marquee strip visible on your projects? What I do in those situation is make a selection on the Marquee strip where I want tracks to mute. It will select all tracks and then you can either press Backspace to delete all Marquee selection or use the Mute regions/selection key command to mute them all in one go(not the Mute channel strip kc). If you want some of the tracks to continue playing, unmute those regions that were created and muted when using the key command.

Blink

Thx for the tip. Note that my goal in this topic was to control several tracks at once actually (apply effects, automations, etc...).

If the Aux receiving bus 3 should be completely muted along with all the other tracks, set its output to bus 18.

Makes sense, thx.

You can mitigate this CPU overload problem by selecting a track in the Tracks window that isn't connected to a Live instrument like ES2 or Alchemy. I’ll create a MIDI track without an output specifically for selecting during playback if I’m having overload issues and it works like a charm.

OK, that's really interesting tip, I'll try this !

Edited by jp44