Controlling Korg Volcas from MIDI tracks?

joachim_s

Hi,

You'll have to use MIDI Clock for this. All you need to do is make sure your Korgs are set up to respond to MIDI Clock (which seems they are by default) and that they get MIDI Clock from Logic. To set it up in Logic, go to Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI > MIDI Clock and choose the destination (try a single destination set to "All", or two destinations, one for each device). Check out the various MIDI Clock modes too.

After doing this, the Volcas will follow Logic when you press Play.

J.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

You'll have to use MIDI Clock for this. All you need to do is make sure your Korgs are set up to respond to MIDI Clock (which seems they are by default) and that they get MIDI Clock from Logic. To set it up in Logic, go to Project Settings > Synchronization > MIDI > MIDI Clock and choose the destination (try a single destination set to "All", or two destinations, one for each device). Check out the various MIDI Clock modes too.

After doing this, the Volcas will follow Logic when you press Play.

J.

Thanks! I figured it out! ☺️

• 2 years later...

I've just read this and I'm keen to get involved. I have the volca selection too and programming the sequencing in real time is a ball ache so I can completely see the desire to program the MIDI information in Logic. What cabling would be recommended firstly? USB -> MIDI Controller -> Volca is my current idea but that seems like a ballache. Can you get MIDI to USB to cut out the controller? Also, is there any programming information that I need to mindful of? I'd assume that I need to set the BPM on the Volca to sync with Logic. Do I need to be mindful of anything else? Automation/Volume/etc?

Thanks!

MrSidwell123

Yes, there are USB-MIDI interfaces available.

If you are using the Volca sequencer, setting it to slave to MIDI clock overrides any manual BPM setting.

Read your Volca's documentation (I hesitate to call it a manual) about what MIDI controls it responds to. It varies a bit from model to model. When I owned a Volca Bass, I controlled it entirely over MIDI and never even used the onboard sequencer.

A good USB-MIDI interface should set you back but a farthing ... and a much more advanced one with many outputs will only cost a little more. Logic should instantly recognize any of them.

I still have a soft spot for those synths ... had a Kurzweil keyboard for a lot of years before it finally went the way of all 80's electronics and I sold it to a friend. (Who fixed it.)