Multiple Monitors

Jay Denson

Does anyone know if there is a connection between multiple monitor screens and Logic running slow?  Or could it be that my Logic is slow since the latest update?  I use 4 monitors - two on the Mac's dual monitor inbuilt card and two via USB3 to DVI/HDMI adapters.  Logic is running painfully slow with lots of SWOD's happening.

TIA Jay

I have four monitors on a 2008 Mac Pro eight-core (3,1), with two dual-port ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT driving three 27" monitors and one 24". I've never noticed slowness due to monitors. I mean, this is an old computer, and "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Pace," as Lerner wrote -- but it's not connected to the monitor load. 

I absolutely see a connection between a long, far-flung orchestral files and a decrease in response time. Also, if I'm looking at a conductor's score of several (+20) pages, even moving a slur by mouse or KC invokes the beach ball. But again, that's not a monitor issue, because in a brand new empty file, the response is better. The lag I describe is due to CPU / full score redraws. 

I fear the lasting solution is a new Mac Pro, and this is a uniquely bad time to buy one, as I'm sure you know. 

What you describe should not be excessive. But overall length may trump track totals. Also, there may be a link to CPU consumption and the amount of samples loaded. But again, a full-load orchestra in a brand new file seems just fine. 

The only solution I've found is to lop off huge sections, save the partitioned file, and resume working with better (but by no means ideal) response times in smaller sections. Then, at the end of it all, I reassemble the file, having been careful not to adjust global elements, add bars, you know, anything that complicates the final assembly. 

It's common advice to adjust MIDI and score elements at deep, per instrument levels. I've seen response times improve a bit doing that. But I compose and lay out at a conductor's score level, and it's kind of loony trying to do it any other way. 

Here's to a new Mac Pro in both of our futures. 

Hi Plowman.  I'm not up for a new Mac Pro just yet.  I have invested in a 250GB SSD to house my Logic projects (which leaves me around 500GB on my system drive - enough and to spare for disk swapping) and I run Hollywood Strings from a hybrid with 8GB SSD.  I also have 32GB RAM.  I'll have to live with it - but I'm relieved it's not a multiple monitor issue all the same.

Thanks for your insight.  Kind regards, Jay

Hi Triplets.  It's a tad faster with just 2 monitors.  In Activity Monitor the DisplayLink User Agent (that's the usb3 - DVI/HDMI adapters) takes about 6% of cpu activity.

But, as I say, I think there's a marked improvement since I changed the processing threads thing.  And I need those extra monitors anyway.

Jay

Hi all. My evening session was on 8 instead of automatic. Sadly, I did not enjoy Jay's improvements in speed. I may not appreciate my tolerance for delayed response until I upgrade -- only then will I realize all that I've been missing. It seems to get slower later into the session, but that may be my waning patience. 

Jay, if you've got an empty slot in your 3,1 (eight-core early 2008 Mac Pro), you might keep an eye out for a second Radeon 2600 XT. In fact, before posting, I checked eBay and there's one for 27 dollars plus shipping. Yes, it's always a roll of the dice, but I've bought extra cards before on eBay, and they've always worked. (Be advised: this same card exists for a PC, and that version will NOT run on a Mac. They're less expensive too, so don't get fooled.)

If memory serves, our computer can also take a certain GeForce card, but my experience with it was dismal. ATI Radeons have served me well. 

We agree that it is likely (though not proven) that your multiple monitors are not at fault. So I'm not suggesting a new card as a solution. But having a spare is never a bad idea.