Environment question: send midi event on switch

Dewdman42

Ok, I am ok with simple environment tasks.  This task is beyond my current understanding.  Does anyone know how I might go about setting something up in the environment so that the user presses a button in the enviornment, some midi is sent out?  the midi could be a simple event, or might be packet of sysex.  let's say I want to setup an 8 position switch and each position will send out some midi when selected.

Or any other approach to send out a packet of sysex, or perhaps simpler midi, upon command...maybe it could be by responding to a midi keyswitch

Also does anyone know if there is a way to assign keyboard commands to environment switches?  

Also does anyone know if there is a way to assign keyboard commands to environment switches?  

If you refer to the cableswitch fader (or any faders), in the object's inspector, the second set of MIDI parameters (the ones from/and after the second channel parameter) is where you select which MIDI event (note) will be used to trigger the object's action.

Ok, I am ok with simple environment tasks.  This task is beyond my current understanding.  Does anyone know how I might go about setting something up in the environment so that the user presses a button in the enviornment, some midi is sent out?  the midi could be a simple event, or might be packet of sysex.  let's say I want to setup an 8 position switch and each position will send out some midi when selected.

Or any other approach to send out a packet of sysex, or perhaps simpler midi, upon command...maybe it could be by responding to a midi keyswitch

Intuitively, I would believe that the sysex fader object and the bang! Meta event fader object would be my first stops... 

Sorry of not being of more help...

Good to know I can use keyswitch.  Do you know if actual QERTY key commands can be assigned to anything in the env?

I am not sure of what you are looking for...

AFAIK, the Environment objects would not respond to QWERTY or ASCII incoming data.

Incoming QWERTY or ASCII data would be processed by Logic, before it reaches the Environment; and that for Logic's operation control purpose (via Key Commands for instance).

It is however possible to convert incoming QWERTY or ASCII into data that the Environment objects can handle (and consequently respond to). Perhaps making use of the Step Input Keyboard assigned to a track, which output is assigned (sent) to an IAC bus (via an instrument object), which is then finally cabled from its Physical Input object's (return) prong to the desired target object.

Very convoluted, admittedly.

That approach requires that the Step Input Keyboard has key focus to operate as desired.

And also that there is no connection from the used IAC to the Sequencer Input object, otherwise incoming key inputs would be interpreted as key commands piloting the various Logic's functions as well.

Perhaps using another mean (external app) to convert QWERTY or ASCII to Environment object's recognized data (MIDI) could probably be more convenient.

Edited by Atlas007

what I mean is key commands as in Command-bla bla....just like any other key commands that can invoke many different functions in LPX.  Can they be in any way assigned to buttons in the environment?  I doubt it, but I'm just asking.

AFAIK, there is no such key commands available. Environment objects can be externally controlled with MIDI data.

Hi,

I guess I would need to use something like OSC or something to intercept key commands and turn it into midi.

Logic's own Musical typing keyboard basically does this already. Unfortunately it no longer appears as a distinct device in the Physical Input object, but you can still isolate it by connecting cables out of all ports except the SUM port, the SUM port becoming the Musical Typing keyboard's dedicated port (god I hate they took it out :evil:).

J.