Patch vs Channel Strip Setting

3ple

Hey guys! :)

Replying to a user's post, I started thinking about the differences between patches and channel strip settings and I wanted to know your opinion on this. Since we can pick what we want to load from each Patch with the Enable Patch Merging option, is there any advantage on keep using Channel Strip Settings over Patches? Would love to know if there's still advantages I'm not aware of or if Patches are really the future and Channel Strip Settings will become a thing of the past, especially when on the Settings menu at the top of the strip there's no default presets anymore.

Thanks

:)

I never really used the Performances option. To be honest, I never understood what that was haha. Thanks for clarifying.

So that option will not be useful for me. :)

Now the second thing you mentioned, yes, it's true you can copy/paste, but since you don't need to save them, we can't really consider it a Channel Strip Setting per se. I mean, my question is more related to saved Patches vs saved Channel Strip Settings. Why would someone save a Channel Strip Setting over a Patch? I think, based on the two options you mentioned, there's no advantage, since one is saved as Performance (not as Channel Strip Setting) and the other one you say you don't even have to save it. Does it make sense?

I think saving a channel strip as Channel Strip Setting is now obsolete, right? Logic doesn't even have that on the drop down menu anymore, the presets organized by category, so I believe they see Patches as the "future". Maybe they will even remove the option to save as Channel Strip Setting in the future.

That's what I thought :) I love the Enable Patch Merging feature. I remember in Logic Pro 9 I always wanted something like that so I wouldn't lose the instrument itself. I even started saving them as audio channel strips and then loading them the same way, because those wouldn't replace the software instrument. But now we don't need that :)