duplicating tracks issue

fersy

Hi, i am pretty new to logic having used cubase for a year first and I've been getting along great with it however I've recently come across an issue and was wondering if anybody had any insight.

if im in the early stages of a project i can duplicate tracks instantly with no issues using either alt and drag or the new track with duplicate setting button or cmd d, however once i have a lot of tracks (about 60 so far in my current project) then it no longer works like that. i just get the spinning umbrella. 

if i leave it long enough it will duplicate but i'm talking around 5 mins to do 1 track (no exaggeration).

it doesnt matter if its an instrument track with plugins or a simple audio track with none.

when they track has everything playing the cpu meter is about 60% however i dont have the track playing when im trying to duplicate so the cpu is doing nothing before i attempt duplication.

i am running an early 2009 mac on yosemite and logic pro x 10.2.3 with a 2.93ghz quad core xeon processor and 16gb ram if that makes any difference.

obviously i can make fresh tracks then apply everything but not being able to duplicate them is hampering my workflow especially when i forget and attempt to duplicate lol. then i have to wait 5 mins or sometimes force quit logic 

ok so after a couple of hours experimenting i have figured it out. i deleted all the vsts and plugins first and still have the issue so after deleting sections one at a time and timing how long it took to perform the process i eventually noticed deleting my percussion track stack took massive amounts of time off the copying process. then it dawned on me i had about 20 percussion tracks all heavily chopped up into individual hits so by the time the project was 4 mins long that was literally thousands and thousands of individual audio files just in the percussion section. so i glued them all into sections and it was faster but still not immediate. i then unhid all the hidden tracks and glued all those percussions sections etc that were in tiny pieces that i had bounced and hidden and hey presto all my tracks copy immediately now.

only thing i cant understand is the hidden tracks that i had bounced down and hidden were actually turned off (not muted but off) yet they were clearly still having an impact on this process.

anyway hope this helps somebody else and cheers for your input