Re can't playback before I drop in

vinnyburns

Hi. I have a problem where I can't hear the audio of the track I am about to drop in to. I am using cycle mode with a 2 bar count in. Press play and the audio on the track I want to drop into is there. I press record and in the 2 bar count in, the audio on the track I am dropping into has no output.

I know it never used to be like this but tried it on my studio mac with Moto 1248 and 24ai and also on my macbook pro on internal speakers with the same behaviour so it's within the program. This makes it almost impossible to work alone tracking guitars.

My only workaround is to maybe use a footswitch and drop in via that but that is not at all ideal or accurate when I just want to concentrate on playing. I really need to hear the audio I am dropping into. The whole input monitoring in Logic seems flawed these days.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Sorry, I see where you are coming from with the auto punch. On it's own that works but I NEED cycle record too and that is where the monitoring of the existing track gets muted.

Unfortunately you can't use Autopunch with Cycle mode when recording audio (it wouldn't record audio any longer once the playhead cycles back).

Actually, using the cycle as the pre and post roll, I can press stop after a bad take and once recorded again, the new recording does end up stacked in the take folder. This is better than nothing. It's still a bug for actual cycle recording though as I have always recorded this way in logic since 2007. Have sent a bug report in to Apple.

Thanks so much for your help David. I now have a much better solution to work with than I had yesterday.

All the very best.

Vinny.

Note that you don't need to use Cycle mode if you don't want to (since you're not going to Cycle around that section anyway). You can adjust your non-cycle recording behavior under Record > Overlapping Audio Recordings > Cycle Off > .... if you want to create take folders. 

Then you position the playhead where you want playback to start (minus the count-in), and the audio starts being recorded at the Autopunch area. 

In fact if you don't want to have to turn on Autopunch area or determine a punch out location, you can click with the Marquee where you want your recording to start. Then position the playhead, and press record: Logic automatically engages Autopunch. 

Thanks. Will probably just stick with cycle as it leaves me with a defined are I am working within without using markers and I will have to do less mouse clicking. Just pressing record, stop and undo on my Avid Artist Control will be enough.

Thank you for your help. Hope apple sort their cycle record out so it reverts back to the useful way it worked in the past :-)

...I know it never used to be like this but tried it on my studio mac with Moto 1248 and 24ai and also on my macbook pro on internal speakers with the same behaviour so it's within the program. ...

It seems that this has been around quite some time though, maybe you were recording midi ? 

See this: https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95232&p=677840&hilit=autopunch+cycle#p677840

Well, there are 4 guitars tracked for every rhythm guitar part clean and distorted on an album with 10 songs. Cutting takes is just too much messing about for a good work flow. The last album I did on Logic, last year, I had someone punching me in for the whole thing. The last album before that was 2013-2014 where I was only using cycle record to achieve what I wanted and recording audio not midi. It worked fine and I am sure while I have been demoing songs recording guitars in the last few years that this has been working fine. Not sure when it became broken.