Playback keeps stopping and restarting.

D_Spice
Go to solution Solved by D_Spice,

So I recently upgraded to a MOTU 8pre and shortly after I started having this problem.

What's happening is that playback in Logic randomly stops and restarts, usually a few milliseconds back but not consistently to the same spot, and sometimes back to the start.

The effect being a constant stuttering, stopping mess. 

I've checked that there isn't a loop on (and as I've said it's not jumping back to a consistent point)

I've checked the CPU load and that's fine. I've tried unplugging the interface and the problem persists with the built-in audio.

I've tried changing the sample rate, which seemed to help once but only for an hour or so, and has since had no effect.

Usually the problem will get worse the longer the program is open. I'm sometimes able to use it for a few minutes, even record some audio, before it starts jumping around and becomes unusable.

The problem seems to be exacerbated by monitoring audio over playback. Like it might be playing back fine, but as soon as I attempt to play anything overtop it starts wigging out. Or if the problem is only happening a little, playing overtop makes it way worse.

Here's a link to a crude cellphone video of this idiocy in action: https://youtu.be/W6ZAGv90N6I  (Please note the CPU load meter)

Please help! I've gone through so many forums and tried the workarounds for any problem that even seems remotely similar to mine with no luck.

Nothing I've read seems to be the exact same problem I'm having.

and what happens if you unplug the motu, reboot, and run logic thru your mac's speakers? you've kinda figured it out already. what OS are you running? what version of logic? and is the motu compatible? is the software up-to-date?

Thanks for responding.

So I just tried turning off the MOTU and rebooting with the built in audio. When I started up Logic it was running fine until I tried playing some software keys overtop, then the wigging out started agin.

I'm running El Capitan on a late 2011 Macbook Pro. I'm running a purchased version of Logic Pro X.

The MOTU is an 8pre firewire. I downloaded the latest audio driver from the MOTU website.

Okay so I just completely unplugged the MOTU and rebooted again and the problem still persists.

I'm thinking that eliminates the MOTU as the problem.

Could it just be that I need to update my OS? I've been avoiding the latest update simply because my Macbook is 

getting on in years. It runs fine on El Capitan, but I'm wary every time that an upgrade might be too much for it.

• Solution
Is this happening only when you play your keyboard ? Does the problem go away if you select Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces ?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!!!

Selecting "Bypass all control surfaces" solved the problem.

Thanks, JacobP!!

• 3 years later...

I have this problem even with LOGIC 10.6.2 with NO interface or midi connected on a fresh reboot of my MacBook Pro and running only Google Chrome and Finder. I am using a 500GB SSD with 100 GB free.

The Bypass Control surfaces workaround DOES seem to change the stuttering behavior of the Playhead to that of being locked/stuck on beat one and not being able to start the program. DELETING all my control surface data and turning off my phone. ie. NO Logic remote seems to fix the problems. I have yet to try adding back in my control surface(s).

• 1 year later...

I have a very similar problem with a brand new 2022 Max Studio, M1 Max Chip, 10 core, 32 GB Memory and operating on the macOS Monterey version 12.4 system. 
Despite having what I thought was pretty decent processing power, I was thinking that I still didn’t have enough because it was as if it was struggling to process all the plugins that are being driven simultaneously.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I followed the “bypass all control surfaces”  And it hasn’t worked. 
Anyone got any other ideas what it might be ??

Edited by StevenK1966
Wrong description

• 9 months later...

I am having the same issue.  I purchased a new computer hoping to solve the issue...I brand new Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura 13... and still I have this issue. I have checked an there are no firmware updates required for my interface. Help if you are inclined

Thanks!