changing headphone and monitor volume in Logic

danjags

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to change the headphone and monitor volume in Logic. Could you please help?

I know that i can use the master volume slider in logic, but I want to adjust my own monitor volume while i am playing through logic (without actually affecting the recording volume). I can do this on my audio interface with the built-in hardware knob, but my interface is across the room from where I usually play my instrument and it would be much easier to be able to adjust it in the software (and i also imagine that this would provide more flexibility to get the monitor volume exactly how i want). I've looked around but haven't been able to find the answer yet, how can i do this?

Thanks, Dan

...I know that i can use the master volume slider in logic, but I want to adjust my own monitor volume while i am playing through logic (without actually affecting the recording volume)....

Not sure I understand, the master volume doesn't have any effect on the recorded volume ? Neither does moving the slider on the recording track ? If your monitoring when recording is too quiet, simply insert a gain plug on your channel strip to boost the monitoring volume. Or  do I misunderstand ?

Thanks fisherking and Jakob!

Moving the interface isnt practical bc I have a specific setup to record while shooting videos and there are a few locations where i play instruments.

Sorry if i didn't explain it well Jakob. Unless i'm mistaken, master volume does affect the recorded volume and moving the volume sliders on each individual track also affects the recorded volume. I want to change the monitor/headphone volume without changing the recorded volume. Does that make sense?

Wouldn't inserting a gain plugin boost the recorded volume as well? As i understand, putting a gain plugin on a track is basically like adjusting the volume slider of that track.

...Unless i'm mistaken, master volume does affect the recorded volume and moving the volume sliders on each individual track also affects the recorded volume. I want to change the monitor/headphone volume without changing the recorded volume. Does that make sense?

You can safely do any adjustments on the "master" (stereo out), or the individual tracks you record to, without affecting the gain on the incoming (and recorded) audio. So, use your stereo out and audio channel strip faders, no problem !

get a little headphone amp (so you can control the level), connect that to your audio interface (with a long audio cord)..?... set the level a bit too loud, then turn it down at the head amp..

hmmmm, ok thanks. I've thought about using a headphone amp before, but have never used on and not sure how they work yet.

Just did a quick search and found the BEHRINGER MICROAMP HA400 has good reviews ( https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HA400-BEHRINGER-MICROAMP/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505838303&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+amp  ). 

Would this work?

And about connecting it....

I have a focusrite 18i20 interface. Would i connect the headphone amp to one of the outs of the interface or to the headphone ports on the front? And would i connect it using a standard guitar/instrument 1/4 cable?

If i did this, then i could control headphone volume from both the interface and the headphone amp?

Edited by danjags

...Unless i'm mistaken, master volume does affect the recorded volume and moving the volume sliders on each individual track also affects the recorded volume. I want to change the monitor/headphone volume without changing the recorded volume. Does that make sense?

You can safely do any adjustments on the "master" (stereo out), or the individual tracks you record to, without affecting the gain on the incoming (and recorded) audio. So, use your stereo out and audio channel strip faders, no problem !

Ok thanks for explaining that. It seems like i didn't know how these things worked!

I'll share my exact use case to make sure that i understand right. can you please let me know if i am i understanding it right or if there is anything that i'm confusing?

I record in Logic, and i also send the sound from logic to OBS to livestream when i play. I send all of the incoming audio from instruments and midi instruments into Bus 1 and i send the audio from Bus 1 into into bus 2 and bus 3. Bus 3 goes to stereo out and bus 2 goes to OBS. I have OBS set to receive the audio from Logic through outputs 23-24, which go to soundflower and soundflower sends them to OBS. 

If it makes it easier to understand, here is a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppnckk8t28aw1x3/Screenshot%202017-09-19%2012.42.30.png?dl=0

So if i want to raise my headphone volume (or the volume that my studio monitors produce), but don't want to raise volume that is recorded in logic and sent to OBS - then i can use  the slider in the top right. 

Logic only allows me to raise this by 6db. But i could also do the same thing by using the the mixer fader (or putting a gain plugin  if i want more than 6db) on the Stereo Out track in the mixer. Right? This would mean that stereo out and master volume are the same thing. Correct?

I can also raise the volume of the individual tracks by using the sliders next to the tracks to the left of the timeline or in the mixer (and apply gain plugins in the mixer). When i do this, it does not affect the volume that is recorded into logic, but it does affect the volume that it sent to OBS. Correct? 

If i want to increase the volume sent to OBS (but not increase the volume in my headphones, monitors, or recording), then i can increase the fader for Bus 2 (or add a gain plugin on Bus 2). Is this correct?

If i want to increase the volume that is recorded to logic, then the only way to adjust this is by using the knobs on my physical interface (and all of the other sliders simply change the output to my headphones, studio monitors, or OBS). Is this correct?

...So if i want to raise my headphone volume (or the volume that my studio monitors produce), but don't want to raise volume that is recorded in logic and sent to OBS - then i can use  the slider in the top right...

No, unfortunately the Master fader (the top right as you say) raises all outputs from Logic, not only the Stereo Out, so use the Stereo Out instead. 

...Logic only allows me to raise this by 6db. But i could also do the same thing by using the the mixer fader (or putting a gain plugin  if i want more than 6db) on the Stereo Out track in the mixer. Right? This would mean that stereo out and master volume are the same thing. Correct?...

If you add gain to the Stereo Out the signal to the OBS will stay the same, of course. But as I mentioned, the Master fader will raise not only the Stereo Out, but also the Output 23-24, so the Master and the Stereo Out is not the same thing actually.

...I can also raise the volume of the individual tracks by using the sliders next to the tracks to the left of the timeline or in the mixer (and apply gain plugins in the mixer). When i do this, it does not affect the volume that is recorded into logic, but it does affect the volume that it sent to OBS. Correct?...

That's totally correct.

...If i want to increase the volume sent to OBS (but not increase the volume in my headphones, monitors, or recording), then i can increase the fader for Bus 2 (or add a gain plugin on Bus 2). Is this correct?...

Well, Aux2 you mean :) but yes, that's correct, another way to do it is to raise the send level from the Aux1 track, or you could raise the level on the Output 23-24 channel strip, or you could do all of them :D

...If i want to increase the volume that is recorded to logic, then the only way to adjust this is by using the knobs on my physical interface (and all of the other sliders simply change the output to my headphones, studio monitors, or OBS). Is this correct?...

Yes, correct, you adjust the recording level with the preamp on your interface. 

You could try a combination of headphone mixer like this Behringer (headphone socket from interface > headphone amp input) and monitor controller (such as this Mackie) which goes from interface main speaker outs to L & R inputs on the controller, them L&R outs from controller to main monitors. Keep them both next to you. You might not even need the headphone amp - one big volume control on the Mackie for both headphones and monitors.