midi mappings

danjags

Hi I’m having a few issues with midi mapping. Could you please help?

1. I must have made a mistake, because a couple of the  knobs on my Akai MidiMix are controlling two volume sliders. I just want them each to control one volume slider. I am trying to make re-map a knob  to control just one volume slider, but Logic isn’t letting me and doesn’t seem to be showing the normal screens for midi mapping. When I click on either one of the volume sliders that is mapped to the physical knob and hit command+L, it only shows me this screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdfblwj1m24r1jy/Screenshot%202017-09-17%2021.57.58.png?dl=0

This is the first time i've experienced this issue. It doesn’t matter if I try clicking the slider again or if I touch the physical knob. It will sometimes flash the following normal screen for a split second, but it won’t let me use it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi4a79i9x1u9uk7/Screenshot%202017-09-17%2022.01.01.png?dl=0

When I click a different slider, it does let me access that screen. Just not for the ones that are already mapped. 

EDIT/UPDATE: I fixed this by going into the menu bar and clicking the “learn assignment for volume”, which unchecked it. Shouldn’t this have been happening when I hit the keyboard shortcut though? Was there some sort of bug? Or am I missing something?

1. 2. Also, I tried hitting option+shift+ K or going through the menu bar to access the bigger mappings menu, but it only opened the same window. I’ve seen a bigger window with more mapping options open before- why can’t I access it now?

1. EDIT: Nevermind this question! I realized that the advanced settings for controler services were not on!

1. 3. I have another MidiMix that seemingly keeps forgetting the MIDI mappings. Its been happening with both MidiMix controllers actually for quite a long time, but I finally decided to monitor it closely to solve the issue today and it only happened to one of the MidiMix controllers today. I haven’t been able to diagnose exactly what is going on yet. I midi mapped a few different controls to both of them earlier today. I tried quitting logic and re-opening it and all of the mapped controls were working fine up when I restarted the application. I had to power down my computer by holding the power button because it froze a couple hours later. When I turned it back on, one of the MidiMixes remembered all the  mapped controls, and one forgot all of the mapped  controls.

Do you have any idea why this is happening? Anybody else have issues with Logic forgetting MIDI mappings? Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks, Dan 

Edited by danjags

I set the correct midi mappings again yesterday after writing that post and I just tested this again, i think this info might be helpful to diagnose the issue, here are the results:

The MidiMix that forgot the midi mappings has once again forgotten the midi mapping completely. The midimix that remembered the midi mapping has remembered the midi mappings again, however it has also "remembered" the midi mappings that the other Midimix forgot. That explains how a couple of the knobs on the MidiMix were controlling two volume sliders. 

To make it easier to understand- 

midimix that forgot the mappings is the guitar midimix.

the midimix that remembered both mappings is the piano midimix. 

the piano midi mix has "remembered" both the piano midi mappings and the guitar midi mappings- even though the guitar midi mappings were mapped on the guitar midimix.

Do you know why this is happening? Do i need to set the MidiMix's to different channels or something? Or is this something i need to speak with the manufacturers of the Midimix about?

Thanks, Dan

Btw- i'm sorry if the writing in yesterday's post was confusing. I really respect and appreciate your time and help and don't mean to write run-on confusing posts. I am confused about what is going on with this, but I'm trying to explain it as clearly as possible