Personal request for a better forum (I guess/hope)

3ple

Hey guys! :)

I hope the other moderators and David (administrator) don't mind me using this space to make this request, but since it's the space most users use, I found it to be more appropriate.

This is kind of a personal request, but I think most of us will agree on this.

This forum has helped me tons of times and I'm always happy when I help other people as well. I believe this forum has the perfect vibe, there's no serious discussions where people are aggressive or anything, everyone is always nice and chill. But one thing that I like is when I'm trying to help someone or someone is helping me, or even when I'm part of a discussion on a specific topic and I can identify who the person is, because they have a picture. It doesn't have to be a clear face or anything, but at least I know who that person is and when they reply, I know it's them. Just having a name (specially when the name is like "Eri03_fr111", it doesn't create that human connection and it can be quite confusing when you're in a discussion and at a certain point you almost feel you don't even know who you're replying to or who replied to you.

So my request is that all of us update our profiles with a picture. Something that all other users will be able to associate with a name. It doesn't have to be your face, it can be a cat/dog, a cartoon character, the sky, whatever. At least something that's not a generic avatar. I believe it would make everything easier and even more fun to all of us :)

What do you guys think? Let me know if you agree/disagree and why :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this 

Tiago

I don't see how using a picture of your face is going to make this a better forum.  I prefer helpful content regardless if there is a picture or not.  Although I am the type who prefers pictures and rarely reads the articles ( :lol: ), I would much rather focus on the helpful advice even if it were from some pointless name. The people I have come to know and trust over the years usually had an avatar, but only because they are a fun thing to have. I knew them by name rather than an avatar.   Over time, most members of this forum have drifted off never to be heard from again. 

One thing I can suggest is to get rid of those ads that appear right in the middle of someone's response - - - a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g!!!

One thing I can suggest is to get rid of those ads that appear right in the middle of someone's response - - - a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g!!!

I hear you - and I will get rid of those soon. 

I don't see how using a picture of your face is going to make this a better forum. 

That's why 3ple specified that it did not have to be a picture of your face. But I agree with him than any avatar, such as volovicg's or yours, helps identifying who's posting a little faster. Here's an example of a thread where it takes a little more work to identify who posts what: https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129790

I guess it is up to personal preference. I think Eric overdid his avatar in this picture I snapped from your link.

That's what came up lol.  I reset the browser and it went back to normal. 

However, I look at the question and look at the reply with little regard to an avatar. If the reply is helpful, I tend to remember the name. 

Some people may have a difficult time choosing an avatar and maybe would prefer to just do without one. 

239864117_ScreenShot2017-09-25at7_34_06AM.png.65198243d5ba3581563844bd060e25b8.png

I think you are only focused on only one aspect of the forum, the content. That doesn't mean that other aspects are not important as well.

I don't think anyone in this forum will agree that an avatar is more important than good content. That's not the point. You can have both. Having to choose an avatar will not affect the content you post.

Also, choosing an avatar (as I said, it doesn't have to be your face, that's why you don't have one, unless you were having a really bad day when you took your picture hahaha) is not a "life decision" that will take you 24 hours and will be definitive. Just pick a random picture from Google, but at least we will know who you are.

Countless years have been spent studying how people interact with content, so how the content is presented is important, as it will change the way people interact with it. Let me give you a simple example: Facebook recently changed the way the profile picture is displayed on a post. It went from a square to a circle and they announced it by saying that the change will help how people interact with the posts, comments, etc. Their words, not mine, so there's a reason behind that simple and (maybe according to you) useless change (read about it here: https://socialfiremedia.com/round-profile-pictures-coming-facebook/

Saying that you don't see how a picture will make the forum better is like saying "why should cars be painted if they take me from point A to point B, regardless of the color?" No one is saying that the forum will increase the value of its content, but the way you interact with it. It's just more pleasant and easier. For example, when I see David's picture, Eric's picture, etc, I know who they are, I don't look at the name, so when I'm looking at a post, it's faster to see who's saying what at a particular point, making it easier to follow the discussion. It's not the first time I reply to a post to then see I was replying to the wrong person.

Thinking that an image doesn't influence the way we interact with the content and other people, is the same as thinking "why do we need plugins with any graphics at all? They can all be just white or black windows with circles as knobs and rectangles as faders. They will produce the exact same sound". But if some companies use the graphics of the hardware they are emulating, it's because it helps people recognize what they are using (for example Logic's compressor where you can see what each type of compressor is trying to emulate), but most importantly, because it sells better. It's a marketing strategy. There's nothing to agree/disagree here. It's pure marketing strategy. We are visual creatures. Of course, after a while, if you have a great sounding plugin that was designed as just a blank page with letters, numbers, circles and rectangles, you get used to it, but would you rather work with plugins in Logic in Editor mode or Controls mode? They produce the same sound, don't they?

689938361_ScreenShot2017-09-25at10_15_48AM.thumb.png.5025d88a412d8c63d06b9656e46b4e93.png

And as a last reason why a picture is extremely important (and maybe why you don't see it that way): let's say two people register their username, one as Eric Smith and the other one as Er1c Smith (I know this is an extreme example, but it's just to prove a point). How difficult would it be if they were both discussing a topic? Or even for someone who wants to know who they are replying to. If they both have different pictures, you won't even look at the name anymore, even if they have very similar names. Again, when I'm in a discussion, I look at David's picture for example and I know it's him, so if you want to have a clear idea of how the discussion evolved, pictures will definitely help knowing who asked the question, who replied and to whom, who provided a good solution, who provided a second good solution, etc, and therefore, make the forum "better". It will not improve the content that's being shared, but it will improve how well it's shared and how people interact with it.

Not intending to be finicky here, but I noticed that the same avatar pic is used by different members (admittedly few ones though)...

Maybe you can get in touch with them and ask to change? If you notice that, just let them know. Maybe they don't even realize :P

I would not dare, as some might be offended...

Besides, considering my membership status, I don't think having the authority as you do.