A small warning when updating to macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Eric Cardenas

Custom Icons, Project Templates, No auto backups, Rebooting/re-logging when installing plug-ins, retina coloring errors on menus, drivers not working properly due to changes in the Audio USB kext…

There may be no show-stoppers for you personally but that's not the same thing as recommending everyone to update.

I'm also pretty confident that many of these issues will get ironed out in a near future.

Custom Icons, Project Templates, No auto backups, Rebooting/re-logging when installing plug-ins, retina coloring errors on menus, drivers not working properly due to changes in the Audio USB kext…

unfortunately I have experienced almost all of these issues once i updated to high sierra.. mainly the issue discussed in this thread regarding the "Audio Music Apps" folder, a strange dark red coloring on menu drop downs, as well as driver issues. As I was working on a project, a small pop up saying "initializing Core Audio" came up at random (and the Audio Preferences window was not even open), and I abruptly lost all output signal to my monitors. I had to reboot the program to get things working normal.. but this is honestly a nightmare.

Damn- wish i had seen this first!!! Just did what I thought I was supposed to do!

Since I upgraded- any time I open Apple loops it just freezes- nothing loads up. Actually I can still move stuff around and listen- doesn't work right or in real time. If I tell it to "index" it will index FOREVER. ok- so I only let it run about 4-5 hours, but i doubt I gave up too quickly. Also- I can not edit audio at all- I can "cut" with the scissor tool, but I can not delete audio. I can delete/remove a region- but not delete, or edit any of it. Those are the main things- Im sure i do not have full capabilities in other areas that I just don't regularly use though-

Any time I try to delete/stretch audio I get this message-

Error in parameter list / Not an existing volume, and no default volume / Bad positioning information / Bad drive number

Result code = -50

File = LogicSampleClip1

I have called apple- after a good hour of dude telling me various things to try out, he said he'd have to talk with the engineering division, and that could be 3-4 days. i called on the 4th day- still have no clue, just told me they're still trying and have not figured it out.

unfortunately I have experienced almost all of these issues once i updated to high sierra.. mainly the issue discussed in this thread regarding the "Audio Music Apps" folder, a strange dark red coloring on menu drop downs, as well as driver issues. As I was working on a project, a small pop up saying "initializing Core Audio" came up at random (and the Audio Preferences window was not even open), and I abruptly lost all output signal to my monitors. I had to reboot the program to get things working normal.. but this is honestly a nightmare.

just wonder how this is so different for some of us. i am having such a great time in HS... basically, none of the issues listed. and have you checked with focusrite? just to be sure you have the latest software, and that it's HS-compatible?

just wonder how this is so different for some of us. i am having such a great time in HS... basically, none of the issues listed. and have you checked with focusrite? just to be sure you have the latest software, and that it's HS-compatible?

Yes I have, based on this Focusrite article, just about all Scarlett interfaces are compatible with HS.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005073725-Focusrite-product-compatibility-with-macOS-10-13-High-Sierra

I'm not sure why there are so many different results. In the past couple hours I actually ended up restoring a full Time Machine backup (which I did just before I upgraded to HS), and I am back to 10.12.6. I have been running LPX for about an hour now and everything is back to normal and completely stable. All my presets and plug ins stored on my external drive are still linked, and not dealing with any overloading.

Since I upgraded- any time I open Apple loops it just freezes- nothing loads up. Actually I can still move stuff around and listen- doesn't work right or in real time. If I tell it to "index" it will index FOREVER. ok- so I only let it run about 4-5 hours, but i doubt I gave up too quickly. Also- I can not edit audio at all- I can "cut" with the scissor tool, but I can not delete audio...

This sounds exactly like symptoms from the issue I described in the article.

Can you double check that you really have a file structure inside ~/Music/Audio Music Apps?

If it's an orphaned Alias you can try this:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Delete the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps then create a new folder on this location and give it the name Audio Music Apps.
  3. Open the Terminal and paste this code followed by enter:

open /.HFS+\ Private\ Directory\ Data?/

A new Finder window will reveal your hidden content.

4. Copy the content inside the 'dir_######' folder and paste it inside your new Audio Music Apps folder.
  5. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

I know that the 2nd generation 2i4 is not working correctly in High Sierra. It appears that the 18i8 is suffering from similar issues from d_an's post.

You can contact Focusrite and ask about a firmware downgrade as a temporary fix for the 2i4, maybe there's a similar downgrade for the 18i8.

Or, you can do the OS downgrade and wait for things to settle down, like in d_an decided to do.

• Items not presented in alphabetical order is a bug that must be fixed by Logic.
    You should have this items out of order:

• Standard Templates
    • Custom Templates
    • Custom Icons
    • Key Command presets

[*]Re-logging/Re-booting required for new plug-in updates.

[*]Only 1 Auto backup in the project folder named 00.

am not at my work mac, but the templates thing... yes. still, i have it down to 2 main templates, so no big deal. the only other thing is... presets not in alphabetical order on some 3rd-party plugins. THAT is annoying.

but, in terms of working... am getting my work done, no stalls, weirdness, crashes. and that part's great.

Since I upgraded- any time I open Apple loops it just freezes- nothing loads up. Actually I can still move stuff around and listen- doesn't work right or in real time. If I tell it to "index" it will index FOREVER. ok- so I only let it run about 4-5 hours, but i doubt I gave up too quickly. Also- I can not edit audio at all- I can "cut" with the scissor tool, but I can not delete audio...

This sounds exactly like symptoms from the issue I described in the article.

Can you double check that you really have a file structure inside ~/Music/Audio Music Apps?

If it's an orphaned Alias you can try this:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Delete the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps then create a new folder on this location and give it the name Audio Music Apps.
  3. Open the Terminal and paste this code followed by enter:

open /.HFS+\ Private\ Directory\ Data?/

A new Finder window will reveal your hidden content.

4. Copy the content inside the 'dir_######' folder and paste it inside your new Audio Music Apps folder.
  5. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

I apologize for my ignorance- Im not sure what an "orphaned alias" is, and even a search didn't really seem to help explain it.

I went to the Music folder, from/in "User"- there is an "Audio Music Apps" folder there. When I try to open that i get this message " "The alias “Audio Music Apps” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found. ", which also gives me the options to "delete alias", or "fix alias", and theres an "ok" button as well.

I've had previous versions of Logic (9, 8, etc.) installed, but the apps are long since deleted. So I have the duplicate Application Support/Logic and Music/Audio Music Apps folders. I understand one of them's a hard link (but I don't fully understand how that works).

I don't plan on going to High Sierra anytime soon, but is there anything I could do preemptively to avoid the problems discussed above? Can the two folders be "consolidated" (I know that's not the right word) -- can the hard link be eliminated? Thanks....

[edit] Sorry -- need to update my profile -- I'm on 10.12.6, LPX 10.3.2

...is there anything I could do preemptively to avoid the problems discussed above? Can the two folders be "consolidated" (I know that's not the right word) -- can the hard link be eliminated? Thanks....

Yes. You can do this if you don't use Logic Pro 9 anymore:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Create an new folder inside ~/Music.
  3. Move the content inside the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps folder to your new folder.
  4. Delete the ~/Music/Audio Music Apps folder and the ~/Library/Application Support/Logic folder. (Make sure you have a backup if in doubt!)
  5. Rename the new folder you created in ~/Music to Audio Music Apps.
  6. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

This should take care of everything.

PS: ~ means your user folder! Do not delete anything from your main root library.

Thanks very much, Eric -- worked fine; everything seems normal in Logic. Only little glitch is that I can't delete the (now empty) ~/Library/Application Support/Logic folder. "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." Tried using Get Info to change permissions -- no go. Is there a Terminal command that'll delete the folder?

I upgraded my iMac running Snow Leopard with a very old version of Logic a couple months ago. My new mac came with Sierra and LPX 10.3.2 installed. I bit the bullet and installed High Sierra this week just to get it over with before amassing tons of LPX projects. LPX seems to run fine on HS with plugins and 3rd party apps all showing up, but it does take a little longer for LPX to boot and I get a few more beach balls, like when I use the File drop down menu. However, this morning I opened Alchemy and I got the message: "Alchemy unable to update the list of presets and tags in the User Audio/Music/Music Apps/Plug-in" data base file etc. I read in several online posts pre-High Sierra that if you should get this message and lose Alchemy's browser tags and presets, to delete the existing db file and restart LPX. Well, that didn't work. Next, I will confirm my Alchemy folder's read/write privileges etc. But my question is this: Since Alchemy's missing browser was a known issue prior to High Sierra, is my current problem a hard link issue related to High Sierra's new file system or is it the permissions issue or just a bad db file? Even though I seem to have good functionality, is there a concise way to test or put LPX through the paces to identify issues sooner than later, so I don't feel like I'm waiting in line for a bad hot lunch? Thanks!