A small warning when updating to macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Eric Cardenas

The Copy/Paste fix here has worked. Thank you. At least I can edit audio again.

But Logic is extremely slow. Even hovering over a menu option (ie “File, Save As, Help, etc) stalls and is buggy.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I regret upgrading.

I was definitely dealing with this same issue when I was on HS. On top of all the other glitches mentioned, hovering over a menu drop down would cause the beach ball. This was making any simple task in LPX take much longer and was extremely frustrating, which is why I wanted a quick fix, and decided to just roll back to 10.12.6.

Just to let you know that, last weekend, my teenage son also was confronted with a broken Logic Pro after I installed High Sierra. Apple loops and Alchemy were gone, and when trying to access those Logic would completely freeze, requiring a hard 'Quit'. Luckily, the solution proposed by you on this forum to restore the phantom alias gave instant relief, thanks a lot for that!

rgrds

Koen

..... a strange dark red coloring on menu drop downs, .

Have you managed to solve this ?

I'm having the same issue here and the only way I found to solve it was turning off "Automatic Graphics Switching" in Mac OS System Preferences>Energy Saver

Have you managed to solve this ?

I'm having the same issue here and the only way I found to solve it was turning off "Automatic Graphics Switching" in Mac OS System Preferences>Energy Saver

Hey TC, as I already said, my way of solving this issue was to downgrade my entire system to 10.12.6, because Logic Pro X was freezing up and running very slow on top of all the other issues discussed in this thread. I am no longer on High Sierra. Looks like you have found a simpler way of getting rid of that coloring issue. I was I a situation where I backed up my system right before I upgraded, which I why I was able to easily downgrade my OS without losing any data or causing any problems.

Kind of an old thread but i'm new, and i also just got high OS sierra and noticed so many problems, called apple and only gave temporary solutions. i noticed logics CPU going above the roof more than ever which never happened before. Can someone please give me exact instructions on how to downgrade back to the best OS right before HIGHSierra without losing any of my important data and programs? I heavy you have to back your data up but i have no clue on what to do so that has enough storage and i cant find something better than MEGA online and 50 is the limit. Any help anyone please?

Has anyone done the recent High Sierra 10.13.2 update? Not sure the update addressed anything specific for LPX, but I'm noticing LPX projects load faster and now there's no beach ball when I hover over File drop-down menu. Worked on a project this morning and everything else seems fine.

Has anyone done the recent High Sierra 10.13.2 update? Not sure the update addressed anything specific for LPX, but I'm noticing LPX projects load faster and now there's no beach ball when I hover over File drop-down menu. Worked on a project this morning and everything else seems fine.

am on 10.3.2, but... was not having those issues before the update. so far, everything's running fine here.

It seems clear to me that High Sierra was put out as a "mid-life kicker" release for Sierra, which also seemed to have more than its usual share of issues. I'm staying parked back at El Capitan until about six "Software Updates" have gone by.

And, "computer geek that I am," I do understand the ferocious complexity of what Apple is always undertaking to do, both with OS/X and with Logic. I'm not "dissing" either of these teams in any way whatever. I fully understand and appreciate what problems can arise. I just don't want to among those who run into them first!

"Computer software like fine wine: let it age!"

It seems clear to me that High Sierra was put out as a "mid-life kicker" release for Sierra, which also seemed to have more than its usual share of issues. I'm staying parked back at El Capitan until about six "Software Updates" have gone by.

And, "computer geek that I am," I do understand the ferocious complexity of what Apple is always undertaking to do, both with OS/X and with Logic. I'm not "dissing" either of these teams in any way whatever. I fully understand and appreciate what problems can arise. I just don't want to among those who run into them first!

"Computer software like fine wine: let it age!"

outside of having to reboot after any plugin install (or update), am having a stellar experience in HS... better than my sierra experience (am talking about this in terms of logic X)...

Welp after a god day of posting what i said, i take it back. Im getting crazy system overload messages for no reason still with just the NLS plugins on separate channels and the master buss. This was definitely not happening before these stupid updates. After i called apple they told me a few things i can do to make things run smother which work but are god forsakingly annoying.

1. click on "go" at the top while holding down the option/alt key and go to your library. go to the "Cache" folder and move everything inside the folder to the trash but dont delete them just yet. Now heres where the second trick and this can also intertwine.

2. Turn off the computer and right after you press the power button, at the same time hold down the buttons: Option,CMD,R, and P... wait till you hear the start up noise for the second time and then let go. Login as usual, and then you can empty your trash can, but heres the thing with the first method....i have a complete waves bundle plus izotope and others so about 651 plugins or so. Each time you do the first method and start up logic, or final cut pro even if you make videos....anything thats able to use plug-ins theyll have to be re-scanned each time as if you're just installing them all over again. Lengthy process but actually helps a bit.

3. Third and final trick i noticed helps, especially if you use safari. Go to your utilities through launcher or however you personally do it, click your activity monitor app and in the search bar type in "Safari". Each thread that pops up, force quit them all. That helped me like crazy. And then anything else you might want to force quit go for it.

I hope this info helped.... Talking to the people at logic themselves wasn't that much of a help either. Best solution the guy could give me was importing the project i was currently working on into a new one because the current project could be "damaged" somehow. It helped very little.

If anyone knows any way i can downgrade back to before high OSSierra without losing all my data because i dont have 2tb of space to store anything on then please tell me. Well theres my 2 cents.

Supposedly yes, have not updated yet (and I'm not running HS) so can't tell personnaly, but it's in the list of bug fixes:

Loops, Channel Strip settings and other content are again available on Macs using APFS (Apple File System), and on which Logic 8 or Logic 9 had been installed prior to Logic Pro X.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David, thanks for the reply... that was actually the first thing I tried. It did not help. Then I upped the sample rate from 48k to 88, the problem seemed to go away.

But all of my projects are in 48 so that seemed rediculace.

Then I switched over to Ableton Live and everything worked fine...

But, I noticed the clocks and pops will listening to audio files directly from the Hard drive.

Off to work... I will try some things later.

I have to thing there is a link between Logic/Apogee ensemble/and my computer that is funky... thinking of contacting apogee service department... the assemble has been finicky since I bought it 3 months ago...

I have to thing there is a link between Logic/Apogee ensemble/and my computer that is funky... thinking of contacting apogee service department... the assemble has been finicky since I bought it 3 months ago...

Ok I suggest you start a new topic specifically to discuss your issue so we can focus on that. Hopefully we can help you find out the culprit.

Yo, for one, I have TONS of user-made channel strip settings, patches.. etc. The mere fact that these are completely broken is absurdly unacceptable.. Only solution is to go back to sierra and hope (even though they won't) they will "fix it." GM playback has been BROKEN in quicktime since LION. They haven't fixed one of these problems yet.

Hi some things weren't clear by reading all this,

Where should all the settings and samples be in? /Music/Audio Music Apps ?

and copy all from Library/application support/logic to that user folder?

Is alias linking still allowed? I have my samples on a different HD and from where should they be linked?

In the "audio music apps folder" or the "application support logic folder"?

Recently switched the main computer to High Sierra and I'm receiving cpu/disk errors on even small sessions. (seems to be more disk error for no reason)

And a very few plugins not working.

and another question: that hidden folder's contents, may it be deleted?