A small warning when updating to macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Eric Cardenas

Thanks for the warning.

You're welcome Dan.

I hope it saves you some head scratches.

What do you mean 'hard link'? Do you mean a symbolic link, because that is what I use to place Apple Loops and other content on external drives. So I would like to know if it breaks those links too, and if they can be relinked.

Symbolic links and hard links are not the same.

Your symbolic links will still work perfectly using APFS.

I had 9 and a few years ago got X and now HS and I have no such issues that I can see and all my drives are now APFS except TM. Should I be expecting a nasty surprise? I have the X over the LP9 icon but other than than I haven't seen any major bugs other than a handful of my plugs re-scanning (but working fine) during each LPX startup.

I had 9 and a few years ago got X and now HS and I have no such issues that I can see and all my drives are now APFS except TM. Should I be expecting a nasty surprise? I have the X over the LP9 icon but other than than I haven't seen any major bugs other than a handful of my plugs re-scanning (but working fine) during each LPX startup.

the 'x' means it's not compatible with the OS, so... can you open 9? seems you wouldn't be able to...

Exactly. 

Time Machine will still work when you backup from an APFS drive.

You are however unable to use an APFS formatted partition as a TM destination.

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Time Machine and APFS: What You Need to Know - The Mac Observer

You are also going to have to resort to SMB or NFS to mount a share point.

AFS is deprecated for APFS.

TimeMachine still works fine, as it used to. 

APFS is only converting system SSD's automatically leaving all your other disks alone.

Fusion drives are also excluded at the moment but I'm pretty sure they will sort it out for those configurations too.

There are many advantages with APFS:

• Cloning instead of copying will save space and be instantaneous.
  • Snapshots for more efficient backups of files.
  • Space sharing will let you share space between partition dynamically.
  • Crash protection gets rid of Journaling and it's overhead.

The good thing is this content isn’t deleted from your hard drive even though Apple has hidden it. The location of the content is now inside a folder  /.HFS+ Private Directory Data?This folder will have a directory name of ‘dir_’ followed by a some digits. You can safely recover your content and move it to the expected location.

Hi !

I have exact same problem described in the article after updating to High Sierra.

Lost all my channelstrip and plugin user presets :(

Found the /.HFS+ Private Directory Data folder but I have no idea how to recover the content (where is the expected location to move the files and folders).

I really appreciate any help !

Tarmo

Yes of course.

Try this:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Delete the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps then create a new folder on this location and give it the name Audio Music Apps.
  3. Open the Terminal and paste this code followed by enter:

open /.HFS+\ Private\ Directory\ Data?/

A new Finder window will reveal your hidden content.

4. Copy the content inside the 'dir_######' folder and paste it inside your new Audio Music Apps folder.
  5. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

Yes of course.

Try this:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Delete the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps then create a new folder on this location and give it the name Audio Music Apps.
  3. Open the Terminal and paste this code followed by enter:

open /.HFS+\ Private\ Directory\ Data?/

A new Finder window will reveal your hidden content.

4. Copy the content inside the 'dir_######' folder and paste it inside your new Audio Music Apps folder.
  5. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

Thank You so much Eric !!!

Everything is working now as expected  :D

One question - I also have alias: user/Library/Application Support/ Logic

Should I leave it as it is ?

Thanks again !!!

You're most welcome Omrat!

You can leave it, delete it, or follow the same procedure but for the Logic folder.

At the end of the day it will not matter since Logic Pro 9 does not work.

I have no experience with Logic 9 so I will just delete it  :wink:

Thanks again Eric, 

I really appreciate Your help !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard many reports that Sierra was buggy, so I delayed upgrading to it.  The fact that High Sierra has now come out many months before "Dub Dub Dee Cee" (the Apple WWDC = World Wide Developer's Conference) tends to confirm that suspicion.

And I intend to do the selfsame thing with regard to High Sierra.  I abide by the mantra:  

"Computer software like fine wine – let it Age."

No matter how good Apple (or Microsoft, for that matter) is, an operating system is a frighteningly complicated thing.  Bugs are unavoidable.  Best to let someone else discover them, and for several software-update cycles to come and go.

(Hell, I remember when IBM sent out a software-update tape that would "brick" your [mainframe] computer if you actually installed it.  I got a very-frantic call from our SE = Support Engineer.  I calmly told him that I used most of those tapes as scratch-tapes ... and that in any case I never installed one until the next one had arrived.)  :D

i get that, really. but for me, one truly great thing is happening with LX 10.3.2 and High Sierra; i haven't been experiencing stalls, stutters... & system overloads (i was, on the same hardware, up thru sierra). so, so far, things have been stable, and (obviously) more efficient. i haven't had to freeze tracks, or 'reboot with wifi off, no other apps open', as i've done in the past.

for that, am pretty happy...

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyones updated their systems to High Sierra that are old Camel Audio Camel Phat users?  I updated my secondary test system to High Sierra to test the plugins and the only one that fails is the Camel Phat when validating plugins. Tried looking around on google but no one seems to have reported it as an issue.

Cheers,

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

You can not 'open' LP9 files per se but you can create a new LPX file from the old one that works in Logic Pro X.

This has has been the case for a long time though.

I would really encourage everyone to wait until next Logic and macOS update though. There are still plenty of areas where Logic and High Sierra isn't behaving properly, mostly due to the latest file system change.

You can not 'open' LP9 files per se but you can create a new LPX file from the old one that works in Logic Pro X.

This has has been the case for a long time though.

I would really encourage everyone to wait until next Logic and macOS update though. There are still plenty of areas where Logic and High Sierra isn't behaving properly, mostly due to the latest file system change.

outside of the listing issue (ie, presets and soundbanks are not listed alphabetically in some synths), am having a stellar experience with logic in high sierra; and none of the overload issues i used to have (thru el cap & sierra). just my experience, of course (but just mentioning). am assuming apple will sort out the file name issue soon... (or, hoping, rather than assuming)...