High Sierra many plugs require reboot on first install

xgman

Has anyone found a workaround for having to restart the computer under High Sierra for a large number of new Audio Unit installs?  Apparently a known issue is that many plugins will not show up in Logic plugin manager until after a full reboot of the computer. Weird. Maybe to do with the new APFS, I don't know, but it is a tad annoying. Wish I had held off for a while.

It's only on new installs and only on certain ones. The last one that did it was Bassline 3. Before that it was Ozotope 8. When you install them fresh, you have to restart the computer for LPX to see them. It is a know issue for some plugs like BlueCat etc..  In any case just tried beta 2 of 10.13.1 and it's still scanning some of the plugs at each start.  Probably either those pligs need an update or maybe the next ver of logic will address it, but I think whatever they did to the plugin manager AU val) will be on the devs to workaround. Which means some will never get done.

• 3 weeks later...
i HAVE had to reboot to get new plugins to show up, but after that, all is well. not sure what's happening for you pimp daddy nash. you may need to update your bourbon....

It's happening on both my MBP and Mini. Might be a remnant of the Beta tests. Probably need to upgrade the bourbon in both, yes. :)

i run all the betas, so i don't think it's that. more likely, it's specific plugins. does this happen on both macs with the same plugins? all plugins?

It's happening on both my MBP and Mini. Might be a remnant of the Beta tests. Probably need to upgrade the bourbon in both, yes. :)

i run all the betas, so i don't think it's that. more likely, it's specific plugins. does this happen on both macs with the same plugins? all plugins?

Just installed 10.13.1 - no change. 

Digging around in the Plugin Manager (on my MBP - Mini is at home) - there are 2 versions of Amplitube 4 (both version 4.0.0)

Will check to see if there's an update at IK, and will see if the Mini does the same thing later.

Update - yep, it's Amplitube.

D/L'd the most recent version - installed, still wants to authorize 22 plugins.

Used their Uninstaller and relaunched Logic - no authorization.

Reinstalled and it's back.

Love the Ampeg emulation, so have to live with it until they issue a fix.

at least you know what's happening. why not email amplitude, let them know about it? might get you a fix sooner...

I still hope Apple will issue a workaround fix for these anomalies but they are only minor nuisances and not deal killers anyway.  I just installed 10.13.2 beta but haven't tried Logic yet. I keep hoping that sooner or later they might tweak this so they don't have to rely on dev's to workaround this. After all none of this was a problem prior to HS.

I still hope Apple will issue a workaround fix for these anomalies but they are only minor nuisances and not deal killers anyway.  I just installed 10.13.2 beta but haven't tried Logic yet. I keep hoping that sooner or later they might tweak this so they don't have to rely on dev's to workaround this. After all none of this was a problem prior to HS.

i've been beta-testing the OS since apple first offered it to the public, and, believe me, i've seen worse issues (one version of el cap wouldn't allow half my plugins to run at all); even recently, there were some weird 'save' window issues. etc etc.

a beta is a beta, and there's always a (good) chance there will be issues (yet, lol, i continue to run them). anyway, hopefully 10.13.2 next beta will help...

10.13.2 doesn't fix any of this stuff it turns out so I think this will only get back to normal if the next ver of Logic fixes it. Logout after installing plugs seems a bit ridiculous to have to do.

all of my plugins works, so it's probably some combination of a needed fix from apple and/or the problem-plugin developers...

I agree with fisherking here - I have a *ton* of plugins on both Macs and the only one that seems to be giving me trouble is IK's Amplitube.

My MBP here has been updated through multiple system versions (and Betas to boot), and I'm quite impressed with how plugin coding is holding up (and some were updated *years* ago). Maybe check your Plugin Dev's for updates as the last MacOS update has been installing plugins with no need to restart LPX (just did TRacks 5 a few days ago and it was instantly available)

GB just got a big update on iOS yesterday, so I'm betting both GB and LPX for Mac is in the pipeline soon - this may clean things up as well.

The DMG pack is one, (hasn't been updated in a while I think) and  amplitube 4 is another and a handful of odds and ends beyond that. Beyond that, the other issue, force to log out to see the newly installed plugin, is harder to quantify since most of mine are already installed and on some new ones in the last couple weeks or so I have had to log out or restart on about half of them. I have no clue as to what that protocol is or why.  I'm pretty certain that this is all due to whatever changes Apple made in how the auval is done in HS.

just fyi here is another users list:

2C-Audio (Breeze, Aether, B2)

Arturia Spark (only Spark, the rest is fine)

DMG-Audio (everything I have, Equality, Equilibrium, Compassion, etc.)

Numerology

Flux (everything but EpureV3, which appears twice but with different names)

AmpliTube 4 (IK-Multimedia)

PeakRider 2 (Impact Soundworks)

Manipulator (Infected Mushrooms)

Sonalksis Creative Elements

SugarBytes - Cyclop (Rest is fine)

TAL-BassLine 101

TDR Feedback Compressor II

Vallhalla Plate, Room, Vintage Verb

fisher, off topic, do you happen to have crossover or vmware fusion? If so do they still work under .2 beta? On my .2 they stopped opening .exe's or virtaul machines in fusions case. Paralles does work even to open the fusion machine oddly. These things all worked under 10.13.1. ugg betas...

fisher, off topic, do you happen to have crossover or vmware fusion? If so do they still work under .2 beta? On my .2 they stopped opening .exe's or virtaul machines in fusions case. Paralles does work even to open the fusion machine oddly. These things all worked under 10.13.1. ugg betas...

sorry, no. restore from a backup? good to keep a carbon copy cloner full backup of your mac during betas (something i should do as well...). good luck with that!

Fingers crossed, but the new 10.13.2 beta 2 today seems to have possibly fixed the re-scan issue. At least I think. I had about 40 re-scanning. After the OSX update, I started LOX and had only 17 scan. Close and open LPX again a couple times and none scanned. hmmm. I haven't tried installing any new to see if any rebooting is required yet but this is a good development if it holds. Nice to have my good ole LPX back!

Logging out or restart is still an issue on 10.13.2 beta 3. I just tried to install Soundtoys Little Plate and it made me log out before it would show up in LPX. God I wish they would fix that. It's a pain sometimes when you have multiple things going on.