Life after Apple Loops Utility (RIP)?

bassic_mlindhe

OK – so now that Apple Loops Utility will no longer work (since High Sierra) – I'm looking for alternative ways to batch-convert 3rd party WAV files into fully functional Apple Loops.

I own Loop Editor 2 – however, I can't get this software to do the slicing automatically in a batch. 

Anyone have any thoughts/revelations? Is there some route via REX-files or something? 

Nooooooo.... that's not really true? OMG... that's kinda a show stopper for me. I use it not often, but a couple of times and it's a life saver. I love to tag libraries properly. 

I already used Myriad from Audiofile Engineering, to convert to Apple Loops. And it worked partially. Some tags were set properly, like instrument type and descriptors. But the number of beats and author or collection, and also key, scale type I wasn't able to add. Maybe, or probably it's just me not really know Myriad to configure its (so called) Actions properly. So I had to use the Apple Loops Utility. 

Anyway Myriad cannot convert REX files anymore. Don't know about other tools. 

BTW: I think I read over at Audiofile Engineering, that REX is a closed proprietary system, and they had to reverse engineer a lot to make it possible to convert (it was possible in earlier versions). Reason, the developers of REX, seems to be not willing to open up :(

I think REX is anyway end of life. I hardly see new sample/loop libraries supporting that. Nowadays I only buy sample packs anyway only if they are available as Apple Loops. I converted some of my old REX-libraries, and some WAV-loops, with the previous version of Myriad. But it's hell of work. Especially if the files have different lengths and keys, etc. and the files are not named properly. 

Maybe we are lucky and Apple updates their tool. 

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just DL from the developer site. Can install, can't launch. I checked on my old MacBook Pro running El Capitan, and it's still in the utilities folder and runs just fine. I guess I have a reason to keep the old workhorse around, then. lol.

lol, on my older MacBook Pro it turns out that I can't upgrade to high Sierra, but since I do use the apple loops utility, it turns out that this is a good thing.

I still have my Mac mini server that runs high Sierra so I'm at the latest both on OS and Logic Pro X.

At first I was mad at not being able to upgrade to high Sierra on my Macbook pro, but now I'm not. :)

I’m not going past Sierra until I’m forced to. My MBP won’t be able to either. My cheese grater will need a new video card. At some point LPX will force me too but I’m going to hold out as long as I can because Sierra is stable and my hardware is working fine for me.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone yet found a solution to this?

Like the OP, I need to batch convert tons of .wavs to Apple Loops. I used to do this with the Apple Loops Utility. My ideas so far have been:

Loop Editor 2

-Also like the OP, I bought Loop Editor 2 (way back when) only to discover it doesn't do this.

Myriad

-Sounded half-promising, but my research led me down a rabbit hole… ultimately it seems like it’s no longer a thing.

Untagged Loops

-Isn’t suitable for multiple reasons, namely because I need to sync these Apple Loops to many computers (with non-identical directories… so syncing aliases won’t work).

So… anyone? I’ve just spent hours doing what used to take seconds, and it’s wearing on me. Hoping someone out there has cracked this nut in the last few years. A solution would really make my day.

Thanks guys. I forgot, that thought had also occurred to me at one point (creating a boot drive with an older OS)... should work, though the constant need to reboot is a drag. But a good idea.

@Dewdman Wow! Looks promising at a glance. I'm gonna check it out further ASAP. If this really works that would be amazing.

• 1 month later...