Alchemy Legacy Presets Q

enossified

I was able to successfully get my Alchemy 1.5 presets to show up in Alchemy but I ran into an annoying problem.

I understand that the presets provided with Logic cover most but not all of the previously available Alchemy sound packs.  The legacy presets I installed do not show up in Alchemy's patch browser until I manually select it. Then if the same patch name already exists in Logic, the name appears twice like Name and Name(1). The latter is the Logic preset, the former the legacy preset, easily seen by looking at the snapshot pads...all legacy presets have only numbers on the pads but the Logic presets have names on the pads.

OK here's my two questions:

1. Is there any way to remove duplicate patches from the Alchemy browser? Is it enough to delete the duplicate from the Presets/ folder?

2. Is there a detailed list of what patches come with Logic and which are only available in the legacy packs?  

• 3 months later...

In essence, deleting the presets from the folder will do it.

The next time you open Alchemy, the list should automatically update.

If Alchemy is already loaded in a slot, load a different/no instrument...then reload it. It scans the preset list for changes on load.

You should note that due to structural changes from the Camel version, a number of duplicated presets sound different/may offer different variations in the Transform Pad etc....so you might want to have a good play with the old/new presets before deleting them.

Thanks for the info, oscwilde. i guess there's no way of easily deleting the samples that are no longer associated to presets...?

That one's a bit tricky as some of the samples are used in multiple presets.

It could be done, but you'd need to do it patch by patch.

Even then, I don't imagine that the duplicated samples would amount to more than a few hundred MB on disk....assuming you don't maintain both a full Legacy AND Logic Alchemy sample library. i.e. only keep the Legacy library that has not yet been converted/licensed for Logic - and ditch the rest/dupes.

Thanks for the info, oscwilde. i guess there's no way of easily deleting the samples that are no longer associated to presets...?

That one's a bit tricky as some of the samples are used in multiple presets.

It could be done, but you'd need to do it patch by patch.

Even then, I don't imagine that the duplicated samples would amount to more than a few hundred MB on disk....assuming you don't maintain both a full Legacy AND Logic Alchemy sample library. i.e. only keep the Legacy library that has not yet been converted/licensed for Logic - and ditch the rest/dupes.

i'm not sure how to go about eliminating the duplicate content. Clearly some of the content is duplicated in the native Alchemy in Logic X.

As above, Legacy presets are indicated by numbers in the Transform Pad....and a name without the (1) suffix.

As a Q, is your Camel Library in its own folder?

If so, maybe opening the Camel/Logic folders side-by-side and comparing might be a starting point?

If you head down this road (or opening patches one-by-one in Alchemy), it's gonna be a time-consumer, unfortunately.

I think that ultimately Apple and third-party Camel developers will come to an arrangement with most of the content...although there may be handful of preset collections that won't ever be included in the Apple library, but this will be a small percentage.

As it stands now, it'd cover 70-80% of the legacy stuff, or more, do you think?

The legacy content is easily viewed separately. In fact, from what i can tell, that's the only way it can be seen (check "legacy" in the browser's third column header dropdown). My Camel Library is in the default Camel Audio Alchemy location.

You're right, comparing files and folders in the Finder would be a hugely time consuming affair.