help me choose a new mac for LPX

Dupont

It is a complete hassle and you void the warranty as it not considered a user swappable part. It is super easy to get dust in the screen, hard to keep it clean when doing anything wth the glass. And if you look at OWC, the 16 gig upgrade kit is $189. All that hassle to save $11? Not worth it. The 32 gig upgrade is cheaper, but again, warranty voided. I've never found 16 gigs to be an inhibiting factor (my iMac has 12, never bothered swapping out the original 8). Granted I don't use huge sample libraries, but even if I did I would farm that off to a 2nd computer.

Are you talking about the 21.5" yeah? Because the 27 has a little flap you open and swap them out easy as pie

Yes, the 21.5", the 27 is nice and easy.

While that article does that say that I will say this, it is 4 years old and if you read the comments there are many people who have had a different experience. And OWC themselves say this about upgrading the ram on the 21.5"

"Professional Installation Highly Recommended

While this upgrade kit itself should not void your warranty, the installation process is very complex and thus it is recommended to be performed by a trained professional."

I *AM* a trained professional, and *I* don't want to upgrade the ram on one of those machines. And I'm a guy who not only fixes computers I fix my own motorcycles. I'm handy. It isn't worth the POTENTIAL warranty void on that machine.

Indeed it's pretty easy to change RAM in the 27" iMac models. Instructions are posted on Apple's website: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

Absolutely. It's also worth noting that some machines can run more RAM than Apple advertises. Everymac.com has those specs.

Might be helpful to make a sticky post for computers? If money isn't an obstacle the 4.0 i7 iMac is a no-brainer for a front-end machine.

Edited by Monkeymonkey35

@Redgreenblue - of course it depends somewhat on what model you're upgrading. The 27 inch (which OP is interested in) is very easy:

)

David posted the DIY upgrade instructions from Apple which didn't make any mention of the warranty.

To each their own I guess. I have upgraded and built computers over the years, but so have most musicians I know.