help me choose a new mac for LPX

Dupont

Hi,

I think it's time to change my mid-2007 24" imac.

It is still running Logic X fine even if the CPU load can be near max with some alchemy presets.

I can't no more access the new OS upgrades, so i think it will be shortly impossible to update Logic too.

I Mainly use instruments plugins, not so much audio or sampler with large libraries.

It is not for professional use (currently...)

I currently hesitate between :

mid range 27" imac, the most expensive solution (2300 euros)

13" macbook pro with two 24" screens (if macbook pro supports dual screens)

mac mini with two 24" screens (if mac mini pro supports dual screens)

Will my audio card currently running on USB 2 on my 2007 imac be compatible with new macs with I suppose are USB 3 ?

I would recommend the iMac as well. Don't pay for portability you don't need. Pay the Apple tax and get the RAM built in and just be done with it. I like having 2 screen so I have the 21.5 with an external display, it suits me and my limited space. 

I'm not sure which MBP lordbergfelix is talking about, the only new MBPs are the touch bar units, maybe he means the refurbished ones, which if I were shopping for a portable is what I would be instead of the cursed touch bar stupid stupid stupid MBPs. 

(for context on my advice, I am the main Mac tech for over 1000 users, I have some knowledge in this area)

Pay the Apple tax and get the RAM built in and just be done with it.

I wonder, what is the reasoning behind that piece of advice? Is this just so you avoid the hassle of changing it yourself, or is there another reason? It seems to me that the $250 savings in doing it yourself would be worth it to anyone who isn't scared of opening their iMac – but yes I'd definitely love to hear your point of view on that. :D

It is a complete hassle and you void the warranty as it not considered a user swappable part. It is super easy to get dust in the screen, hard to keep it clean when doing anything wth the glass. And if you look at OWC, the 16 gig upgrade kit is $189. All that hassle to save $11? Not worth it. The 32 gig upgrade is cheaper, but again, warranty voided. I've never found 16 gigs to be an inhibiting factor (my iMac has 12, never bothered swapping out the original 8). Granted I don't use huge sample libraries, but even if I did I would farm that off to a 2nd computer.

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. It used to be much easier to change those parts back when Macs were bulkier, but I guess the streamlining of the cases makes it harder for newer Macs to be user serviceable. And for $11, now way, I was only thinking of people wanting to upgrade to 32GB which would save them $250 or so, but if it's the hassle you describe then it's probably best to pay the "Apple tax" as you put it. :D

Are you really using an i5 MacBook Air as your main computer?

Temporarily and at home, yes, since I just moved and sold my Mac Pro and am now in the market for an iMac. Hence my interest in this thread. :D

Apologies for the hi jack David.

I am on the look out for a new computer too, I am using a Macbook Pro 15" 2015 2.8gh quad core, 16gbRAM, no problem with logic, though I want a computer to leave set up at my home studio, I was thinking of a MacPro, but you mention you have had this already and you are considering an iMac, what are the reasons to choose an iMac over a Mac Pro?

I am always worried that the screen might go on an iMac or the computer itself, I could replace both these with a MacPro & Screen.

Do you really think an iMac is the better choice? if so what spec?

Kerochan,

I understand the concern about having the screen and and computer be one unit, but these screens rarely fail. I agree with Fisherking's build, get the i7, 16 gigs and SSD, that is exactly the machine I would build for myself. The SSD makes a world of difference. Buy the best and cry once.

Mac Pros are great, if you can afford one then sure, why not? But with the iMac Pro coming if you are looking to spend a bunch of cash then if you can afford do wait, I would wait. (for a 'Pro') But for those of us who aren't going to spend that kind of cash, get the iMac.

That being said, your current laptop is a good powerful machine. Set that up with a nice big display and you've got some power.

cheers everyone, and sorry again about the hijack of the original post!

I will keep my eyes open for a Mac Pro or iMac, whatever I see first, though I am leaning towards a 6/8 core Mac pro,

I am not interested in the iMac Pro, overkill for audio I think, and I I am guessing next years MAC PRO costs will be crazy!

I am on the look out for a new computer too, I am using a Macbook Pro 15" 2015 2.8gh quad core, 16gbRAM, no problem with logic, though I want a computer to leave set up at my home studio, I was thinking of a MacPro, but you mention you have had this already and you are considering an iMac, what are the reasons to choose an iMac over a Mac Pro?

I had the old Mac Pro which was IMO the best Mac Apple has ever made, I loved that machine, very easy to upgrade, it had everything I needed, and it's the Mac I kept for the longest time before feeling the need to upgrade. But after a while it started to get old (I had one of the first ones), and since I moved, I decided to sell it, for next to nothing unfortunately.

Fast forward to today and I have to buy a new Mac, the base model Mac Pro is $3k and completely outdated. That purchase doesn't make any sense for my personal needs, and I feel like even the 3.4 GHz iMac will do the job just fine for the kind of work I'm doing. As others have recommended, an SSD is a necessary upgrade, at least the 256G and you can put the rest on external drives. RAM is a good upgrade, I'd say at least 16G and if you run a lot of large sample libraries (most film composers) then consider 32G. IMO that's the minimum GOOD machine to run Logic today: iMac 3.4 GHz, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM. From there, you can upgrade depending on your budget.

The built-in screen isn't an issue IMO. You'll most likely resell the iMac to upgrade for a new one way before the screen has issues anyway. I understand your concerns, I used to have the same with all sorts of built-in stuff, but for an iMac used for Logic today, well like I said the whole computer will be outdated before you'll have issues with it – unless you're very unlucky of course.

though I am leaning towards a 6/8 core Mac pro,

A waste of money in my opinion. Like David said, completely outdated for the money you're paying.

And you're also paying for 2 graphic cards! Talk about overkill for Logic.

This machine was meant for video professionals.

The new iMac will be a much better and suitable investment for Logic.

well like I said the whole computer will be outdated before you'll have issues with it – unless you're very unlucky of course.

Thank you so much David, much appreciated, I think you have convinced me!

Seems most people are saying avoid the trashcan model, though I think its easily upgradable, unlike the imac.

It is a complete hassle and you void the warranty as it not considered a user swappable part. It is super easy to get dust in the screen, hard to keep it clean when doing anything wth the glass. And if you look at OWC, the 16 gig upgrade kit is $189. All that hassle to save $11? Not worth it. The 32 gig upgrade is cheaper, but again, warranty voided. I've never found 16 gigs to be an inhibiting factor (my iMac has 12, never bothered swapping out the original 8). Granted I don't use huge sample libraries, but even if I did I would farm that off to a 2nd computer.

Are you talking about the 21.5" yeah? Because the 27 has a little flap you open and swap them out easy as pie

I would get the new iMac.

The current mac mini is a disaster

The macbook pro only has usb-c ports. You would have to get adapters for everything.

Get the higher CPU with basic 8 gigs of ram, and get more ram aftermarket.

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/imac-retina-5k-27-inch-mid-2017-3.5-ghz/memory

Mind if I ask why the current Mac Mini is a disaster?

I have no experience with them. But I've considered a Mac Mini for a long time. I dig that there's two Thunderbolt ports and four USB 3 ports.

Mind if I ask why the current Mac Mini is a disaster?

Current mac minis are as fast or even slower than the 2012 models. And I'm talking only about the dual-cores. No quad-core offered, which they had in 2012 and they're still great and sought after today, because they were powerful and user upgradable.

A 1000 dollars for a top dual-core with the architecture of 2012 models?

Give me a break.

Indeed.

I understand.

Not sure what I would do with my Apple Thunderbolt 27 display though! Which I love.

Will think seriously about the imac

Just use it as a secondary display?

Yes I could do , but I tried 2 x 27 inch displays before and I didnt like it.

And one 27inch imac screen is fine.

Doesnt anyone on here approve of the trashcan Macpro!?