Opening GarageBand 5.1 files in Logic 10.3.2

Zillion

Hi, everyone

I have a wealth of music projects which began in GarageBand 5.0 on my old iMac 2009.

Since moving to Logic Pro X on my MacBook 2015 I have been steadily transferring these GarageBand projects from my iMac to my MacBook by 'Saving As' to a USB stick and then opening them in LPX. This always felt semi-pro but it's been working so far.

Today however, when I used this same method to get a project over from my old iMac to my new MacBook (via an albeit different USB stick), neither my MacBook's Logic nor GarageBand software could open any of the audio data that I recorded:

- "[file] not found in its expected location."

- "Logic Pro X found 88 audio files in 8 bit format. This format is unsupported and cannot be played back."

Please advise or help in whatever way? I am so down about it and would love to get it sorted asap... otherwise I've lost so much work!

Huge thanks!

Edited by Zillion

Wait, so the drive itself might not be fully supporting these audio parts when I do a 'Save as' in GB on my old Mac and then 'Open with Logic' on my new Mac?

I wonder why this wasn't a problem before? Initially I was running Logic 10.2 and everything worked seamlessly.

I'd never heard of Fat32, so thank you for enlightening me!

I must've previously used a better USB drive to Save As from my iMac 2009 and to then reopen on my MacBook 2015.

I am effectively using my old iMac as a large hard drive of my library of work. It remains offline in a hopefully safe little bubble.

What do you recommend is the most efficient way to access the files from my old iMac so I can continue working on them on my new MacBook? Could I simply connect the two machines and grab the files, as and when I need them?

You would have to network them, and they might not see each other.

Best thing is to take a HD or thumb drive and make sure it's Mac OSX Extended.

You can also grab a Fat 32 USB thumb drive, go to Disk Utility and reformat it to Mac OSX Extended.

That will obviously delete everything on it, so make sure nothing vital is on that thumb drive before you format.