Why so much more latency in Logic than Pro Tools?

extrememixing
Go to solution Solved by extrememixing,

I've been a Pro Tools guy forever, but I have come to really enjoy Logic. I am using Pro Tools HD Native hardware as a core audio device in Logic Pro X 10.3.2. I have a harp overdub session this week that is in Logic. I just checked and compared and the latency with the same 64 sample buffer setting is about 3 times longer in Logic than in Pro Tools. In Pro Tools, things are still usable with a 256 buffer! In fact, that feels better than 64 does in Logic. Why is that? I have an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt that I can use, but I'd rather use my normal path going in--Neves to a GML Compressor--rather than the mic or line inputs on the Twin. The in and out of the Apollo are actually -10, not +4! My Pro Tools hardware also integrates better with my headphone and playback system. But I don't like the latency, and I don't think the player will either!

Any suggestions? Is it just the way that Pro Tools hardware works as a core audio device?

Thanks for your suggestions. I"m going to set the Apollo up and see if that's a better way to go.

Steve

Eric,

It was adding 256 to whatever buffer that I had set in Logic on the preferences page. That's why it seemed to be changing things but not making it much better. So to confirm, the buffer size that is set up in the core audio settings ADDS to the Logic Preference setting. I have them both set to 64 right now and will see how that goes with the session running. I may have to make the one or the other longer at that time. It's a relief to know that the HD Native hardware has entered the realm of working well enough to actually use with Logic Pro X.

Steve

• 4 years later...

This helped me a lot, even in 2022 with a new computer (Mac Pro 2019). The problem didn't exist for me with the old mac pro. I am oscillating between pro tools and logic. Of course pro tools has no latency. But in logic it suddenly sounded like 256 samples delay although I set it to 32, 64, 128... You know that comb filter effect you hear when you try to record your own vocals with not overly loud headphones.
Audio Midi setup was in fact set to 256 samples delay, just as I heard it. I never knew that AMS behaves something like a "sample delay master for DAWs other than Pro Tools". Maybe in my old mac it simply was set to 64 and I never touched or even noticed it. It's a strange world.
But thank you all for bringing light into dark. It is a slowly developing love relationship with my new mac. We're ten months in and I am solving problem after problem.
Next I have to find out why certain plug-ins like Melodyne or Split EQ crash pro tools or at least give me warnings...

• 11 months later...

I had a similar question regarding this topic with Logic and HD Native.  Although I finally figured out the buffer settings for the Avid device must be set separately using Avid Audio Server, I still have quirky behavior in Logic.  For instance, I could open the same project one day, do some work but not change anything in regards to plugins and inserts, then the next day when I go to work, my channels with hardware inserts (using the I/O insert in Logic) sound a bit funny...I ping them with I/O and it will change from +117 to something like -80 sam.  It changes all the time and nothing seems consistent about it.  Settings in both logic and the HD Native hardware are the same.  I usually do a song-per-project file and use the same template...and even the latency on the I/O inserts in every song changes which are on the same channels in each project/song.  Nothing is consistent and it seems random.  Any insight would be appreciated and thanks!