EXS24 Zone Parameter "fade" not work for sliced sample by transients

Joonhwan
Go to solution Solved by Joonhwan,

Hi.

I'm trying to convert sliced(by Transient) drum loop into exs sampler track without any clicks and pops.

To remove click/pops at the end of sound in several zones, I tried to use "Fade" zone parameter.

I have problem with "Fade" zone parameter One-Shot of which source is transient sliced audio region (Logic Pro 10.3... latest version as of 2017/11/17)

I searched this forum and found several question on this but no helps.

(for example, https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126712&p=646474&hilit=exs+fade#p646474)

The "Fade" zone parameter seems to work only when each zone use a independent audio file, but it does not work for audio region that is part of long audio file. If I increase the "fade" from zero(> 0) then the zone does not sound any more. sometime, very short sounding. If the zone is the audio region at the very beginning part of audio file, the "fade" seems to work, but other zone does not work properly("One-Shot" parameter is also checked).

Due to this problem, I cannot remove the ending click/pop easily without manually selection part of audio and clicking fade-out in audio sample editor.

Is there any good way to remove it?

I haven't tried this but how about, as a workaround, turning the sliced drum loop into multiple audio files? After slicing into multiple regions, select all the regions and choose Edit > Convert > Audio Region to New Audio File. Now turn those multiple audio regions into an EXS24 instrument... does that work?

Yes, your approach works for the purpose! Thanks, though it makes me several additional steps to do.

On the other hand, I saw the post http://learnmusictech.com/exs24-sampler-logic-pro/ and following procedure to make beat sliced sound.

1. Add 2 bar loop

2. Ctrl-Click > Slice at Transient Markers

3. Select all sliced regions

4. Add some fade in/out in audio region inspector.

5. Convert to New Sampler Track

The step 3 where I added fade in/out to audio region does not any in resulting sampler track's instrument. :-(. unlike that article's instruction. It just still pops/clicks though the source audio regions are without any clicks/pops(due to fade in/out).

Maybe the current version (10.3.2) does not behave exactly same to the prior versions in this case.

Anyway... Thanks for your help. Ciao

The step 3 where I added fade in/out to audio region does not any in resulting sampler track's instrument. :-(. unlike that article's instruction. It just still pops/clicks though the source audio regions are without any clicks/pops(due to fade in/out).

Maybe the current version (10.3.2) does not behave exactly same to the prior versions in this case.

Hmmm no Logic's always behaved that way: the EXS24 uses the audio file, and the fades you apply in the Tracks area are just non-destructive editing applied "on top" of the audio file but not actually printed to it, so the EXS24 won't see those fades.

Hmmm no Logic's always behaved that way: the EXS24 uses the audio file, and the fades you apply in the Tracks area are just non-destructive editing applied "on top" of the audio file but not actually printed to it, so the EXS24 won't see those fades.

Oh.. non-destructive! That's good, actually on the second thought. Then... can i export audio files at once with fade in/out settings is rendered into?

Thanks.

• Solution

Bouncing in place seems to be only for a single audio file output which itself looks naturally but not handy in this case though. I'd go to settle down following approach as you suggest

- Split audio region by transient

- Save region as a Audio Files(s)

- Convert those regions to sampler track as One-shot playback

- Select all zone in EXS 24 Zone Parameter window and adjust FADE value ~100~500 depending on material to remove click/pops in the ending part of playback

- (Optional) Adjust Attack Time to > 0 in main EXS 24 window to remove click/pops in the beginning of playback.

This seems to be the most efficient way to do to remove click/pops in EXS

Thanks.

P.S : I always search this site about logic over 1 year(Though joined several days ago to submit my own question). It's so good to have this site including you for me! Hope your business successful.

• 7 months later...

Hi there

just curious as i have had a similar problem

but i just moved from logic 9 to logic x and on logic 9 i could apply a fade without having to save as audio files or bounce in place.

when converted some of my projects to x the sample instruments didnt work as i had fades applied to them. but when i brought the fade value back to 0 they started playing again

how come logic x changed this?

seemed much simpler before? and is the only way round it really to create new audio files