Do we still need Apple Loops Utility?

3ple

Hey guys! :)

Since Logic allows us to add transient markers and then directly import to the Apple Loops library, do we still need the Apple Loops Utility?

I know that with the app itself, we can batch convert loops and that's, of course, a great thing. But other than that, is there any other benefits? Just curious if there's something else I'm missing.

Thanks!

:)

I believe you may still need the Apple loops utility to properly tag your loops for searching later. Could be wrong.

When you select an audio file and use the Add To Apple Loops option, it opens a window where you can tag it. That's why I'm wondering if we still need it, unless we are batch converting...

Yes, because Logic insists on forcing a music loop to the key of the project, if you don't want your loop transposed then you have to switch off the key tag in ALU by setting it to none. There is an option to follow tempo or not in the region parameters, but the same thing doesn't exist for pitch, which it should.

Unless I am missing something.

I suppose one feature of the ALU that was useful was the ability to preview the loop at various tempos while you were adjusting the transient positions...

But for example if you activate the Flex and then double click to edit in the Sample Editor, you can still adjust the transients and change the tempo.

That's why I was wondering, besides the batch converting and tagging, if there was another advantage that we couldn't do inside Logic.

But for example if you activate the Flex and then double click to edit in the Sample Editor, you can still adjust the transients and change the tempo.

The ALU has a cleaner workflow where you adjust your transient and preview at different tempos BEFORE you even turn your audio file into an Apple Loop.

But the method I just said, is also before you convert it to Apple Loops. Just import any file, double click to open the editor, click the File tab, activate the Transient Edit Mode, adjust the transients and then click the main arrangement window (otherwise it will play the file at the normal speed inside the sample editor) and hit play. It will be playing the file at the project's speed and with the transient changes. Is this method as clean as ALU? Maybe not, I don't know. But it's something you can still do without ALU, while the batch convert is not possible inside Logic (I guess).

Just import any file, double click to open the editor, click the File tab, activate the Transient Edit Mode, adjust the transients and then click the main arrangement window (otherwise it will play the file at the normal speed inside the sample editor) and hit play. It will be playing the file at the project's speed

Hmmm... I just tried and the file doesn't play at the project tempo, it continues playing at its original tempo. What kind of file is it? Do you have Flex turned on on that track perhaps?

Just import any file, double click to open the editor, click the File tab, activate the Transient Edit Mode, adjust the transients and then click the main arrangement window (otherwise it will play the file at the normal speed inside the sample editor) and hit play. It will be playing the file at the project's speed

Hmmm... I just tried and the file doesn't play at the project tempo, it continues playing at its original tempo. What kind of file is it? Do you have Flex turned on on that track perhaps?

Yes, you need to turn Flex on so it can analyze it and put the default transient markers. After that, double click and all the other stuff I mentioned.

Again, it's not as quick as the ALU, but it's feasible :)

I believe you may still need the Apple loops utility to properly tag your loops for searching later. Could be wrong.

When you select an audio file and use the Add To Apple Loops option, it opens a window where you can tag it. That's why I'm wondering if we still need it, unless we are batch converting...

If Logic could do this for multiple files, yes!!! No need for Apple Loops Utility anymore. But at the moment, I need the Utility.

If Logic could do this for multiple files, yes!!! No need for Apple Loops Utility anymore. But at the moment, I need the Utility.

Yeah that's the only thing I can see that makes it worth to keep, the batch convert. Unless you use the batch convert a lot and huge amounts of files, I guess the app becomes a bit obsolete, then.

There have been feature(s) (such as the Chord global track) in previous version that are no longer there...

Who knows what lies ahead?

I don't think I've ever seen or used the chord global track...

But since Apple Loops is actually "a thing" (companies create Apple Loops and Apple itself has a loop browser) I don't see why that would disappear at all.

My thought when I started this thread was because I truly think that since they included the ability to convert regions into loops, then maybe to them it stopped making sense supporting the Apple Loops Utility. Just my thought. Of course, the batch convert inside the app is really helpful, but... maybe they just found it useless for the majority of the features it included. I don't know... :P

I'd suggest looking into Loop Editor - https://loopeditor.aurchitect.com (disclaimer: I am the author)

I wrote it exactly to overcome the deficiencies I saw in ALU years ago, and now that it's on version 2, I got the chance to add stuff like previewing alternate tempos and batch outputs and stuff that I see you guys talking about here. In fact, I became so obsessed with how the built-in loop stretcher algorithm worked that I was able to get a hold of its author, Christopher Moulios, and not only got the original concepts from him (not the actual code, I still had to do that...), but got his blessing to keep it up. I've been working with some large names in loop-building (Anthony Mena, to name one) to add more needed features and keep it up-to-date.

If anybody here has any comments on things that Loop Editor could do better, is not doing right, etc, please let me know. I'm going to try and hang out here a bit more often, too, so responding in this thread might not be a bad idea either. I want Loop Editor to be 'the tool to use' for this kind of stuff.

• 8 months later...
I'd suggest looking into Loop Editor - https://loopeditor.aurchitect.com (disclaimer: I am the author)

I wrote it exactly to overcome the deficiencies I saw in ALU years ago, and now that it's on version 2, I got the chance to add stuff like previewing alternate tempos and batch outputs and stuff that I see you guys talking about here. In fact, I became so obsessed with how the built-in loop stretcher algorithm worked that I was able to get a hold of its author, Christopher Moulios, and not only got the original concepts from him (not the actual code, I still had to do that...), but got his blessing to keep it up. I've been working with some large names in loop-building (Anthony Mena, to name one) to add more needed features and keep it up-to-date.

If anybody here has any comments on things that Loop Editor could do better, is not doing right, etc, please let me know. I'm going to try and hang out here a bit more often, too, so responding in this thread might not be a bad idea either. I want Loop Editor to be 'the tool to use' for this kind of stuff.

I just bought this.

I see this

1222516138_estimatetempo.png.fed3d8aeaa7fa22d0daabbde51c869b2.png

but I notice that here

tempo.png.1a3962d57f2346b8413df124d498b700.png

it didn't change the tempo. Is there something I'm missing on estimate tempo.