Rewire question

Jilliano

Hi guys, I've a question regarding rewire Ableton into Logic Pro X.

Firstly, I do not have any problems with the settings. Rewiring is working fine. The signals are coming through from Ableton to Logic.

But the question is, how do I get the incoming audio signal in Logic to MIDI or audio file?

For instance, I create a drum rack in Ableton with own samples.

I play a nice groove and I want this groove as an audio or midi file in Logic.

Like I said, the sounds are coming through. But what to do next to get an audio or midi file of the groove I played.

Somebody experience with that?

Peace!

I'm going to review some of the setup for those who haven't gotten it "working fine" yet.

I assume here that Logic is the Master and Ableton Live the Slave. If it's the opposite you want, some specifics are different but the principles are the same.

You have started Logic first, and then started Live, which you've allowed (in Prefs), to start up running as a Rewire Slave.

You have created a MIDI track in Logic with its output assigned to a Live Rewire Channel. This is pretty simple, because Logic is trying to make things simple for you (which in many cases confuses the daylights out of us, in accordance with Logic's "box of chocolates" principle). To send MIDI to Live, you go to the drop-down for the output of that track, and LO! There's an item that says Live channel so and so that got created because Live is Rewire capable, and it's running as a Rewire Slave. So you picked that, right?

Except there is no "output" drop-down, it's called "Device". And there's a huge list of possible channels for some Rewire Slaves but not others. In the Channel list it shows the name of the VI on the Live side, if you've set it up in Live, or just "MIDI". If you try to fathom the multiple channels, you're going to get lost, so just start with one, and consider yourself lucky. The MIDI Track doesn't seem to show up in the Mixer, just in the Tracks window. So keep things very VERY simple, just pick the first choice, so you won't have to logically think it through, and you can manage.

When you play your keyboard (or other MIDI generator) that's coming in to that Logic MIDI track, or you play a region on that track, then the MIDI data travels through the Rewire link to Live, where, if you've set it up to accept MIDI from that port, it triggers a Live virtual instrument, in this case a Drum rack. You should be able to see it being triggered.

Are you somehow able to hear the audio that Live's Drum Rack VI creates in response to Logic's triggering ? That's an issue, because if you are hearing it, something's wrong.

Live should, as a Rewire Slave, not be sending audio to its normal audio interface output. The audio should be sent BACK on the Rewire channel and you need to capture it along the path, to hear it, and to record it, in Logic. I assume that's as far as you get, and that you've got Live's Audio inaudibly connecting to the (return) Rewire channel.

The way to capture it in Logic is pretty simple. You need to create an Aux "track" in the Logic mixer, with its output going to the default Stereo Out. It looks like a track, but when you think about it, it's not really a track, it can't hold Regions. But it's convenient, or just a little confusing, to consider it a track, because this one DOES show up in the mixer. What it is is a connector, an object, that has track-like settings, like input and output, as well as send capability, a level fader, etc. Good enough.

So you go to its input drop-down and there, lo and behold, you find a Live L/R Mix thing, so you choose it. Now, as Logic sends MIDI to Live and Live passes it to its VI that you've defined, the Live VI generates Audio and the audio is sent back over Rewire to this Aux Track in Logic you've defined, and bingo, you can hear it (once you raise the fader level!) because the Aux track is passing the audio to Stereo Out. Once you fiddle with it, it will become pretty obvious - if you don't try to get too logical with it. Just beat on it until it works, and you hear it - there are only so many combinations. Take screen shots and notes.

Want to record it? No problem. You just need to connect that Audio to a regular Audio Track. You can use a Send from your Aux track to get the Audio into a Bus and then into a waiting and Record-Enabled Audio Track that gets its input from that intermediate Bus, while leaving its output connected to Stereo Out (so you hear it). The reason you would add this Bus might be to have more connection options, more flexibility, but mainly it's because Audio Tracks for some reason can't directly receive this audio, the Audio has to come through a Bus. It seems. Box of Chocolates principle. But this works. You may have to build, and rebuild, more complicated routing spaghetti, if you further develop your project and you discover which chocolates can only be arranged certain ways. But (if you keep it simple) the Rewire thing works fine, as the OP noted.

Rewire syncs the two DAWs, so when Logic's transport starts up, so does Live's. You CAN record what you noodle on your keyboard 1) in Logic as MIDI, and 2) in Live as the MIDI that Logic passed over the Rewire Channel, AND 3) as Live-generated AUDIO back in Logic, all in one pass. The options are only limited by your mind and patience.

When exiting, quit Live first, then Logic, or things might get twisted.

To reverse the Master/Slave, if you have Rewire working into Logic-as-Slave, then to capture the audio you would go through an Aux Track to a Bus to an Audio Track. If it's MIDI you want, the Rewire Channel should show up in the drop-down for a MIDI Track, though I haven't worked it that way.

Make sense?

• 2 weeks later...