Korg Legacy Collection M1 Plugin Not Responding to Keyboard

perlmunger
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

Ok. Switching to MIDI Channel 1 worked! Strange that "All" was fine for the Wavestation plugin. Anyhow, thanks for the help!!

When the inspector is set to "All", it passes all incoming data as is to the plugin - so if your keyboard is transmitting on MIDI channel 3, channl 3 events are wha get sent to the plugin.

Whn you change the inspector to, for instance, "1", Logic rechannelises all incoming MIDI data onto MIDI channel 1 for the plugin.

The M1 in your screenshot is in combi mode, where multiple patches are set up, layered/split on particular MIDI channels. So if your M1 combi has three patches all set to receive on MIDI channel 1, and you are sending MIDI channel 3 data to the plugin, the M1 won't do anything.

The Wavestation is most of the time in a straight synth mode, so it will respond to any MIDI channel and play. That's why the different in behaviour. Most mono-timbral synths will tend to not care about the incoming MIDI channel, whereas multi-timbral plugins use the MIDI channel to identify which part to play, so the MIDI channel is important.

Ok. Switching to MIDI Channel 1 worked! Strange that "All" was fine for the Wavestation plugin. Anyhow, thanks for the help!!

When the inspector is set to "All", it passes all incoming data as is to the plugin - so if your keyboard is transmitting on MIDI channel 3, channl 3 events are wha get sent to the plugin.

Whn you change the inspector to, for instance, "1", Logic rechannelises all incoming MIDI data onto MIDI channel 1 for the plugin.

The M1 in your screenshot is in combi mode, where multiple patches are set up, layered/split on particular MIDI channels. So if your M1 combi has three patches all set to receive on MIDI channel 1, and you are sending MIDI channel 3 data to the plugin, the M1 won't do anything.

The Wavestation is most of the time in a straight synth mode, so it will respond to any MIDI channel and play. That's why the different in behaviour. Most mono-timbral synths will tend to not care about the incoming MIDI channel, whereas multi-timbral plugins use the MIDI channel to identify which part to play, so the MIDI channel is important.

Wow! Great feedback. That is super helpful. So, I've notice now that when adding a new track and choosing the M1, it seems to work by default with "All" selected. I'm thinking, from your comments, that this may be due to the fact that the patch I chose once I got it working was not in combi mode. I'm not sure, but it does seem to just work with "All" now, all of the sudden.

Thanks again for the insight. I really appreciate it.

In Prog mode (single patch mode), the M1 responds to the Global MIDI channel set in the Global prefs. Check that, and set it to 1 if it's not 1.

In Combi mode, each part is set to a specific MIDI channel, which could be different for every combi (multiple parts set to the same channel are layered, multiple parts on different MIDI channels are designed for independently sequencing or playing them.) They are mostly designed around MIDI channel 1, which is the most commonly used setting for a master keyboard.

Make sure your master keyboard is transmitting on channel 1 as well, and this should all get a bit easier. :)

• 2 years later...