Solo -12dB

riaaneloff

Folks I've moved from SONAR and SAWStudio (also Ableton, Cubase and Reason a bit) to Logic recently, and the missing functionality is EPIC!!!!

Cannot pan pre-fade sends with independent control for the performer's mix, but I have that on another topic.

Wait...I'm not going to list them...I actually just want to check if I'm missing it:

In most other DAWs that I've used over the past 15 years (been using DAWs since about 1996 - yup - 1996!!) you have a -12dB or -6dB solo option. To most this may be self-explanatory, but if you're unsure: this means that when I press the SOLO button, the track does not ENTIRELY SOLO, it dips all NON-SOLO'ed tracks to either -6dB from their current position, or -12dB from their current position. This means that I still have the context of the mix or performance, but I am able to focus in on a specific thing in the solo'ed track.

So, am I just missing the button somewhere on a menu, or is this yet ANOTHER functionality that Logic does NOT have?

I thought that by moving from PC to Mac and Logic I was embracing the "industry standard for audio and video", but, LMAO, it seems I've gone and bought myself a dud?

While not exactly what you are asking for... just as an fyi - there are two discrete levels in the mixer that can be called up anytime. These are invoked by using the Toggle level key command.

you can see below that when I invoke the key command all channel strip faders drop about ~12db and audio 5th channel strip does not move. This would be similar to solo'ing #5 with your -12 db request. The problem with this method is you have to setup the `12 db or `6db variance as it is not preset and can be any amount of gain reduction.

14033515_duckemall.gif.5b7a675c0e20c2a75cee86911c42e9d3.gif

While not exactly what you are asking for... just as an fyi - there are two discrete levels in the mixer that can be called up anytime. These are invoked by using the Toggle level key command.

you can see below that when I invoke the key command all channel strip faders drop about ~12db and audio 5th channel strip does not move. This would be similar to solo'ing #5 with your -12 db request. The problem with this method is you have to setup the `12 db or `6db variance as it is not preset and can be any amount of gain reduction.

duckem all.gif

Thanks volovicg, will go and experiment with this.

Cheers

duckem all.gif

hi there, just searched through the help file, the menu system and various online resources. can find toggle channel mute, solo and other key commands, but nowhere can i find a key combination that is for channel level. Even found instruction on how to set it up in one official logic tutorial, but, even in the tutorial that tells you how to set it up, it just says "use the Toggle channel level" but never actually gives either the key combination or the place on the menu system where one could find it. Could you tell me what it is?

This resources does not have it: http://www.logicprokeycommands.com/logic-pro-x-key-commands/

neither does this one: https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=27%26section=9%26tasks=true even though this last one tells you how to set it up :-)

Same story here: http://logicpro.skydocu.com/en/mix-a-project/set-channel-strip-volume-and-check-levels/set-volume-levels/

Could you tell me what it is?

As Greg pointed out it's a key command called "Toggle Level", there are several of them for audio tracks, software instrument tracks (you can find them under Logic Pro X > Key Commands > Edit). Unfortunately I don't see one that affects all track types at once?