Mono speaker recommendations for laptop

crabbi

Hi,

I want to get as close as I can to mixing on the go using my Macbook Pro. I have AKG K712 headphones to check the stereo image, but also need an active mono monitor to run directly off my laptop. It needs to be portable, flat response / true representation, though for a small speaker I'm guessing it will need a slight bass boost as I'm using sub bass. So not too many contradictions there.....Any recommendations?

https://smile.amazon.com/Soundmatters-foxLv2-Pocket-sized-Audiophile-Non-Bluetooth/dp/B0030XNBHS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1511385249&sr=8-7&keywords=soundmatters

do you mean literallty mono, or one physical object to carry (but with stereo audio)? ...which seems to make more sense.

i have a collab who has this, swears by it. there's a bluetooth version as well...

If you skip the need for flat, you could do what I do...just hook up an old cassette recorder I had lying around. That way I not only have mono but also the ability to hear a mix on a "lo-fi" speaker. I use three sets of monitors that I volume balanced and can switch between:

1. M-audio powered monitors

2. old Kenwood hi-fi speakers

3. mono cassette recorder speaker

If you skip the need for flat, you could do what I do...just hook up an old cassette recorder I had lying around. That way I not only have mono but also the ability to hear a mix on a "lo-fi" speaker. I use three sets of monitors that I volume balanced and can switch between:

1. M-audio powered monitors

2. old Kenwood hi-fi speakers

3. mono cassette recorder speaker

but what's the point? (no, seriously, am asking); what does a mono cassette recorder speaker reference? even a $30 bluetooth speaker (probably the modern equivalent of a cassette speaker) will sound far better than tech from the 80s.

anyway, for me, if a mix sounds good on my monitors, my akg headphones, and i check it on my macbook, or my iphone (which i rarely do)... seems like all the bases are covered...