Synth Module and MIDI. (First post! wuttup guys!)

DaysbyOne
Go to solution Solved by DaysbyOne,

Yoyoyo! i just joined the forum and am excited to see what i can learn in the coming months.

Im not sure whether or not this is a noob question, nor if it belongs here or in the music production forum, but ill be detailed as i can.

Im trying to run my Roland Boutique JU-06 through logic, but...

1. the data is only received from the keys, not my sequencer, although i get a response in the mixer from both.

2. after recording data, it will not play back for me.

ive created an aggregate device with my JU-06 and interface. midi cables from keys into the JU-06 into the interface. when i use logic software instruments, all works fine. when i try to create a track for the JU-06, i can get sound out, but as i said the recorded data does not play back, and the sequencer isnt recording data at all though logic is picking up on the sequence with the mixer.

ive been a musician for 11 years but im just now getting into MIDI and music software, so if im being an idiot my bad! but please help!

Happy thanksgiving!

midi out from a roland PC200MKII and in to the JU06. midi out from JU06 into an m-audio fast track pro (in the market for a new interface soon), and m-audio fast track into logic via usb.

ive successfully made an aggregate device between the boutique and the m-audio fast track pro. as far as i can tell, because of how far ive gotten, im setting my separate tracks up with the appropriate input and output channels.

yes i was speaking of logics mixer, i dont have my own. my bad if my terminology is shaky. when i use any of the software instruments im golden. i can get the JU06 to "monitor"? (meaning i can hear it via the fast track pro and not standard amp connection) and it will record data from the keys.

but no recording sequencer data (my main objective), and no playback.

1. the data is only received from the keys, not my sequencer, although i get a response in the mixer from both.

Sounds like the synth's internal sequencer only triggers it's internal sounds, it doesn't output the notes to MIDI. So it can't be recorded (via MIDI).

You're still seeing *audio* in the mixer, because the synth is playing it's own sounds and generating audio.

2. after recording data, it will not play back for me.

Sounds like you are recording to a track where the MIDI data is not being routed to the synth - hence you're not sending the synth any MIDI data to respond to.

hey, thanks man, but i think im cornering the problem.

i think my module is having real issues. rerouted the signal like you just said and was able to get play back but the signal goes absolutely haywire, spitting out noise and random notes, the midi screen next to the tempo dock going insane.

now im looking to get my drivers and system updated, but im plugging in JU06 straight to my computer and its not showing up as a disk drive.

i might be pretty screwed here, happy freaking thanksgiving lol.

• Solution

i got it working, and unfortunately the sequencer is internal only, pretty big bummer.

i dont know if theres some sort of "problem solved" button around here cuz i see check marks and such on other threads, but problem solved! for some reason having the midi cable from the juno to the interface while the juno was already connected usb was...bad idea.