Possible to change button layout on actual MCU, or MCU in HUI mode?

Y-my-R

I couldn't find anything on this topic... my apologies if I ask something that has long been covered.

Is there a way to customize the mapping of an actual Mackie Control Universal, running either in MCU or HUI mode? Any time I try to change the mapping of a button to something else, it will not control what I want it to control and instead, that button just stops working (even if I delete all equal assignments in all zones first, that do what I want to map this to). The same thing works fine if I use some generic MIDI controller, but I can't seem to customize the buttons (etc.) on an MCU.

This makes me suspect that Logic doesn't allow you to modify the predetermined layout of an MCU or MCU in HUI mode. Can this be?

What this really is about, is that the Metering on the MCU when connecting via the MCU protocol is really buggy. Sluggish, and gets stuck when switching the faders between different track types (e.g. audio tracks or aux/buss tracks), or moving around between banks with the meters active, etc. The HUI protocol doesn't have that problem, so I thought I'd run the MCU in HUI mode, and manually re-map everything to the MCU layout, which I like a lot better (there are a lot of things the HUI layout just doesn't do).

That the meters are sluggish is not quite as noticeable on an actual MCU (I own one and 2 extenders), but on a different controller in MCU mode with better metering (in my case, a Mackie d8b with a probox connected, 24 LEDs per channel) it becomes pretty obvious that the meters are excessively sluggish. And the meters work just fine when using the d8b/probox in MCU mode with other DAWs (tried Tracktion, Harrison MixBus, and on a PC also Samplitude), so it seems to be Logic.

Is remapping the MCU or HUI button layout not possible, or am I just doing it wrong every single time I try?

• 3 years later...

You can't change the messages that the buttons send, but you can change the controller assignments that react to those incoming messages and customise the behaviour.

The data rate of things like meters and display updates will drop the more MIDI activity there is on those ports - there is a setting in the control surface prefs for how much MIDI bandwidth you can give the control surface to prevent clogging up when there is a lot of MIDI data/updates present.