New guy asking for help.

xNekroxSlaughterx

Hi guys, i'm new to the site though i've been using LPX for a while now. I just want to know is there somewhere a link on the site perhaps i can get given to me to where the basics of everything begin from volume adjustment, panning, bussing, track tacking, compressing, EQ'ing, mixing properly, polishing your track, then finally mastering? in step by step in depth? I've been having trouble with this forever now and every forum i read always has something different that helps only for a bit....I use WAVES plug ins for everything and still get muddy, not clear or too loud/soft tracks . especially after i try to polish them up and master them. Been using cheat sheets for certain hertz but well it cant work for everything. If someone can maybe have a PDF file in order to help me out with all this especially a hertz guide and perhaps all the basics of what i asked earlier i'd greatly appreciate it.

I had seen a user had made and is selling a e-book directly related to my questions on amazing but i just don't have the cash right now till my next couple paychecks , especially after buying the waves 5k Mercury bundle pack. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

You want to be the master of everything, right away... sorry mate. Not gonna happen. Sorry :D

Assuming from your text, you'd like to achieve professional levels, here are my recommendations for beginners.

Start to learn first Logic, the tool itself. Go to Youtube, where you'll find a lot of free videos that will teach you the tool.

How to mix is totally different story. There are also free videos that will teach the tools and some basics. BUT there are no rules that will always lead to a high level super duper mix. This can be only accomplished by experience, years of experience. There are two things that will help you greatly in the beginning:

- Always use a reference mix to compare your song with it, frequently!

- Listen back on different speakers, the reference and your song!

Those won't garuantee a great mix right away, but they will teach you and your ears. The more often you do it, the better your mix should get. Using a reference song will also reveal weaknesses during tracking respectively instrument selection. If the original sound doesn't fit the mix, even after heavy processing, just swap out the sound ;)

Then after a many years, when you really mastered the mixing stage, and probably have enough money. Start spending it for some serious speakers and even more into the room. Then you may want to start the most difficult task: Mastering.

One exception: If you just want to have a quick and dirty mastering, just about a little more loudness for yourself and not about quality release, then Youtube ;)

I just want to know is there somewhere a link on the site perhaps i can get given to me to where the basics of everything begin from volume adjustment, panning, bussing, track tacking, compressing, EQ'ing, mixing properly, polishing your track, then finally mastering? in step by step in depth?

Yes! That's exactly what I've done when I wrote my Apple Pro Training Series book: step by step exercises on real life music projects that aim to teach you everything from the basics of navigating Logic Pro to arranging, mixing and even quick self-mastering.

Check it out: http://amzn.to/2rVCxlz

+1 vote for David's book!

One great advantage besides those previously mentioned: the author is hosting this very board and attends it regularly (ifnot daily)...

Youtube is a good resource, but very often you will find yourself wasting your time browsing myriads of those video tutorials, realizing they are either too superficial, made for already acquainted users, or lacking structure, hence confusing into details of unknown references or seemingly unrelated.

IMHO, Logic is something to learn "hands on", but also, as you already realized it, requires help of a competent guide with structured and personalized approach.

Watching videos is a passive approach, good for learning specific tips.

Logic's learning curve is (way) more demanding than that. Skipping/missing/overlooking some of its basics concepts will have an hefty cost (in term of waste of time).

David's book is definitely your first and best step into mastering Logic.

Thanks guys i appreciate all the comments, and have learned a lot from youtube over the past almost 3 years i've been using logic pro. Though i feel like i'm missing out on some basics i havent given thought to learning correctly. I seen MusicTechHelpGuys full mixing a song from the start video but my mix came out way differently though i learned a lot. Ill have to pick up the book David made for sure.

I've used Logic for 27 years now.. Although I know a great deal about it, there are areas, I'm not that familiar with..

My philosophy, is use it all you can. Play with it have fun, try different functions.. Keep a note book, of issues, or things you can't figure out.. I often find, I discover the answer later. Also look up a certain function, and make it a point to at least get a grasp on it.. Mixing, engineering, EQ'ing, arranging, producing are all skills that are gradually learned. Like any instrument, you can quickly grasp a few basics and get some immediate gratification.. And you will spend the rest of your life perfecting your skills.

I know a very successful Jazz pianist, that at 69 years old, still takes advanced music lessons from his 92 year old teacher..