SL88 Controller issue with Logic Pro X 10.3.2

michielvanpoelgeest

What are you wanting to map to? Virtual Instruments, Mixer, Audio Effects, Track Navigation? etc.

I would imagine that your best bet is to setup some smart controls, you set them up the once to your controller, and then for each instrument/plugin etc. you can have a different mapping.

If it's mixer/navigation you want to control then you will need to do it via the Logic midi learn functions.

Right, that's a good counter question! Thanks for replying. The thing I want is, indeed, to set up smart controls for my controller. Also in a way that pedals are assigned, pitch bend responds properly, etc. How to set these up for my SL88?

The mixer and navigational functions I will control with a different controller or just via my keyboard.

Well, pitchbend and sustain pedal should be automatically good to go on instruments that support them.

To assign smart controls, follow this quick vid:-

You'll find that once you've assigned the first couple of controls for one instrument or plugin, then they will usually work for others as the smart control are numbered in sequence even if the interface changes.

Does your SL88 appear in your Control Surfaces prefs (MIDI Controller pane)? If so, have you tried enabling it (with a checkmark)?

That should perform the controller assign automatically.

That's the thing: it does not.

When I open OSX Audio/midi configuration, it's there, but in Logic, in the Control Surfaces prefs it doesn't.

I reset the 'first time' notifications in the hope that upon reconnecting the device, it would give me a pop-up message like "do you want to use and auto-blabla this device?"...but that did not happen...

Hmmm!

There is something wrong...

I am not familiar with the SL88, but does it have some MIDI events filtering option toggled on?

(Some controller feature discrete MIDI events In/Out filters switches)

Normally, loading an instrument that is programmed to respond to sustain (CC#64), set to proper corresponding MIDI channels (with SL88), should work right away, without requiring further controller assignment.

Have you tried with the piano patch of the EXS24, with its track inspector MIDI Channel being set to All?

Run a midi monitor like this:-

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

With that you can check which messages are being sent by your SL88. So try the sustain pedal and hopefully it responds and you can see which value is being sent - it may just be set to a different Midi CC on the SL88.

Also:- I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that midi devices have to appear as a control surface to be able to control instruments etc. do they? I thought control surfaces were purely for mixer control elements and more advanced/mackie like controls?

• 5 months later...