Upgrade to iMac or Mini i5 or i7

JessePinkman

Hello everyone, how y'all doing?

I just registered to this community and this is my first post. I hope the community can rectify my issue.

I am currently using Logic Pro 10.2 & Maschine on Mavericks. Used to run 10.0.6 on Mountain Lion. My current mid-2010 MacBook Pro specs are:

480 GB SSD (still have 280 GB free)

8GB RAM

New battery (just last week, don't think that really matters)

I have Presonus Firestudio Mobile on firewire & USB hub for Maschine & MIDI keyboard. All my VST such as NI Komplete 8 is on my SSD.

So the problem is I went from Mountain Lion to El Capitan, updating Komplete 8-11 (Black Friday deal) then had to downgrade. Decided to go one notch further to Mavericks so i don't lose support on certain applications such as Chrome, Dropbox.

I get a system overload message whenever i have 20+ tracks loaded with VST like Alchemy even with the buffer setting high. I also do my own vocals so the CPU overload bar is always sitting halfway even when not recording or playing. I am leaning towards an iMaac but your experienced input will be a tremendous help. Thank you in advance.

I would go for a new iMac.

You can still use Firewire, but you would have to get USB-C or Thunderbolt adapter, depending on the model year.

This one still has Thunderbolt 2:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FK482LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-33ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-5k-display

This one comes already with USB-C:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FNEA2LL/A/Refurbished-27-inch-iMac-35GHz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-5K-display

my old tricks (which, amazingly, i no longer need to do):

make sure no apps are set to open on reboot. turn off wifi, bluetooth. reboot your mac. open ONLY logic, and get to work. eventually (as you turn on wifi, open other apps), you'll need to repeat this, but (of course), just as you're ready to work in LX again....

I just got a refurbished 2017 imac(apple unwittingly gave me 16gb RAM when I paid for 8!), specs should be in signature. I'm using a Motu 828mk3 (firewire only) with thunderbolt3>thunderbolt to firewire. That's 2 adapters and cost around $80 together. It's been a couple of weeks and interface is working good.

The computer is handling projects far better than my previous 2009 imac 2.8, i7, 7200rpm hdd 8gb ram. I can record at a 32buffer with 44.1k without pop's.

I didn't know if the motu would work and there isn't much positive info on the web regarding firewire into the new thunderbolt3, so I took a chance and figured I could send the adapters back if nothing else. Unless someone here has that interface and chimes in I don't think you'll find out if it will work.

USB 2 is faster than it was, but I was looking at the roundtrip latency of different interfaces being suprised that they haven't made progress like I would expect.

I'm thrilled with my new computer! even though it's a 21.5"

I understand. SO what should i do about the audio interface, do I need to upgrade that too or the Presonus Firestudio mobile i have is fine? It uses firewire though which I've read is faster than USB.

Make sure the interface you have is compatible with OSX Sierra or High Sierra if you get a newer iMac. Check the Presonus website.