Effects Resetting

Chris Rome

Happened to me multiple times, but i also have figured out how it happened to me.

It's the core audio restarting in my case.

I often change sound input/output through mac osx system preferences. This restarts the core audio. When it does, if i have some plugins windows open, (eg: EQ and compressor windows) all other EQs and compressors on other tracks will be reset.

In my case, if i dont open any window of any plugin while core audio restarts, things work fine, no plugins will reset.

Only happens when i open the window of the said plugins while core audio restarts.

Happened to me multiple times, but i also have figured out how it happened to me.

It's the core audio restarting in my case.

I often change sound input/output through mac osx system preferences. This restarts the core audio. When it does, if i have some plugins windows open, (eg: EQ and compressor windows) all other EQs and compressors on other tracks will be reset.

In my case, if i dont open any window of any plugin while core audio restarts, things work fine, no plugins will reset.

Only happens when i open the window of the said plugins while core audio restarts.

Happy to hear you found a workaround. My problems are totally unrelated to core audio restarts, though - just happens randomly. Anyone know if this has been reported to Apple? It's been going on since 2014 (I think) in some form or other.

Happy to hear you found a workaround. My problems are totally unrelated to core audio restarts, though - just happens randomly. Anyone know if this has been reported to Apple? It's been going on since 2014 (I think) in some form or other.

I doubt its random. When it first happened to me, I too thought it was random. It's something that we do that triggers the "plugin reset glitch".

My workaround was to grab the last backup from Time Machine.

You need to be able to trigger the bug/glitch so that you can report to apple (so that they can replicate the bug/glitch in order to fix it)

I often change sound input/output through mac osx system preferences. This restarts the core audio.

That's an unusual workflow... well... to me at least. I'm assuming you've selected "System Setting" as the output device in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio. I never do that... I change Logic's devices in Logic's preferences and my system's devices in my system's preferences... maybe try that and see if you still get the issue? I couldn't reproduce it here – even with your workflow.

That's an unusual workflow... well... to me at least. I'm assuming you've selected "System Setting" as the output device in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio. I never do that... I change Logic's devices in Logic's preferences and my system's devices in my system's preferences... maybe try that and see if you still get the issue?

Here you go, it doesn't matter if im using Logic's preferences, it happens still :

I couldn't reproduce it here – even with your workflow.

Try leaving the plugin window open (like the EQ window in my video, im leaving it open while Core Audio restarts)

It happens even if i change I/O buffer, basically anything that restarts the Core Audio, resets the plugins (if the plugins window is open while Core Audio restarts)

I know why you can't replicate the issue David, it's the way the tracks are created.

Instead of creating "New Track" with option+command+N, use "New Track with Duplicate Setting" with command+D.

Even if your initial first track is totally empty and doesn't have any plugins, you just wanna create 3 empty tracks with command+D.

Then you'll be able to replicate my issue.

I know why you can't replicate the issue David, it's the way the tracks are created.(...) Then you'll be able to replicate my issue.

I'm afraid I still can't replicate. I opened a new empty project, duplicated the track, it still doesn't lose the EQ setting here when I change core audio device in Logic's preference or OS X System Preferences (with Logic set to System Preferences).

For me it usually happens in of these scenarios:

1. I create a fresh empty project and start loading up a few instances of exs24 consisting of drum and/or bass presets/patches from my exs library. I then open maybe a Retro synth and tweak it a little and start playing or programming some MIDI. I hit 'save as' and name my track, everything but 'include apple sound library content' checked.

After save I play my song and one or more of the exs settings will be off: if I originally had an all kicks Sampler instrument and an all HH Sampler instrument, both instances of exs will suddenly contain the same preset - they're both loaded with the kick patch. Or one or more will be empty, just playing that classic empty exs sine wave. The Retro synth patch/preset might have reverted to the Factory default patch. This doesn't happen every time but I'm not surprised when it does anymore. I've since made a habit of saving and naming fresh songs before I load or play anything...

Or

2. I'm working on a full track that I'm days into; loads of audio, instruments and plugins going. I temporarily have another song, mostly an older alternate version of the same track, loaded in the background because I need to grab a sound or a setting. I switch to song B using Logic's dropdown menu 'Window' and copy a channel strip setting or an audio file from the arrangement. I switch back to song A and something will be off: an exs preset will be empty, or one or maybe two plugins will have reset themselves to their default presets. It could be third party reverbs or Logic's own, feels totally random to me. But it seems to happen with channel EQ more often than other effects. And I can't replicate it either...when I try, it off course doesn't happen. Sorry.

I'm afraid I still can't replicate. I opened a new empty project, duplicated the track, it still doesn't lose the EQ setting here when I change core audio device in Logic's preference or OS X System Preferences (with Logic set to System Preferences).

Not sure why it happens to me though :(

Anyways, i've reported it through Logic Pro Apple feedback form and sent them links to those 2 videos.

Hopefully, they'll investigate it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...