How can I turn off converting to AIFF automatically when I import mp3 files?

enawas711

Hi,

In my Logic Pro X 10.3.2, mp3 files are converted to AIFF automatically when I import them.

I searched for a setting option to turn off the function of converting to AIFF automatically in Logic, but I couldn't find that.

How can I turn off converting to AIFF automatically when I import mp3 files? Thank you.

How can I turn off converting to AIFF automatically when I import mp3 files? Thank you.

It's not something you can turn on or off but it depends on the method used to import the file.

To keep the mp3 an mp3 without any conversion, open the Project Audio Browser, and drag and drop your mp3 to the browser, or choose Audio File > Add Audio File.

Not converting MP3's will mean that Logic will need MORE CPU power to play it back though; AIFF and WAV are 'linear' digital sound, MP3 is encoded and needs to be decoded to 'linear audio' in real time; so when you are playing MP3, your computer 'converts' the audio to AIFF in real time. There really is no good reason to not convert MP3's used in a Logic project.

It's not something you can turn on or off but it depends on the method used to import the file.

To keep the mp3 an mp3 without any conversion, open the Project Audio Browser, and drag and drop your mp3 to the browser, or choose Audio File > Add Audio File.

Thanks for replying.

I'm doing same way with your advice, but the files are converted to AIFF format via any way...

Anyway, I guess I have to clean up my Logic by erasing pref files or something... :roll:

Thank you David.

Anyway, I guess I have to clean up my Logic by erasing pref files or something... :roll:

No no there's nothing to erase in this case. Maybe you've already saved your project as a project folder including audio files and that's why the files are converted. You can avoid that by importing the mp3 in a Logic file that was never saved yet.

But as Erik suggested... why are you trying to do that? mp3 are distribution formats, not production format, so for any kind of production you do in Logic you're much better off working with a PCM file (wav or aiff).

Not converting MP3's will mean that Logic will need MORE CPU power to play it back though; AIFF and WAV are 'linear' digital sound, MP3 is encoded and needs to be decoded to 'linear audio' in real time; so when you are playing MP3, your computer 'converts' the audio to AIFF in real time. There really is no good reason to not convert MP3's used in a Logic project.

Thanks for your reply.

Of course I know that. But in my case this time, I need to make more than 300 Logic files with a full-length reference audio file for each Logic files. So I want to save them as small as possible.

Anyway thank you Eriksimon! :wink: