way off meter

fbkaiser
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Thanks for the screenshot. I can't see your Master fader on your screenshot. The Master fader is typically to the right of the Stereo Output channel strip. If you can't see it, make sure the "Master/VCA" button is enabled at the top right of the Mixer.

Your Mixer is definitely showing a mix peaking at -18 dB FS.

Here's what I suspect is happening:

logic-001.png.7a08507ccf2ed1706bb01ef2d777af97.png

I opened the master and sure enough that was the culprit. My friend had it turned down. But my master is always at unity but always off. I give it no importance. Should I?

The master is never off, it's just hidden or displayed in the Mixer. Its fader should always stay at 0 dB to avoid the kind of discrepancies you were seeing. Note that the horizontal volume slider that's sometimes visible in the Control bar is affecting the Master fader as well.

If you indeed always leave it at 0, then you're allright. But whenever there's these kind of metering anomalies, it is more often than not the master that has been moved.

I think the master is only used by people who have multiple output setups (to lower all outputs without having to group anything). Other than that, having it set to anything other than 0 is impractical, especially for mixing & bouncing.

Plus what David said: the master can have* a 'clone' in the control bar.

*you can customize it away. That way 'friends' can't get to it either.