iMac Pro released TODAY!

kerochan

the one i want is $8050... (am not doing that, unless i get a big FCPX project). ok, i won't buy one now, but i'd definitely steal one... :mrgreen:

For that price you can get two and a half "fully" maxed out imacs. I'm not sure the extra cores and such are worth the drop in single core speed and of course the crazy cost. I guess for rendering this might be justified, but it is hard to even begin to justify this for individuals. My opinion anyway.. I wonder what the 2018 regular imac will bump to.

the one i want is $8050... (am not doing that, unless i get a big FCPX project). ok, i won't buy one now, but i'd definitely steal one... :mrgreen:

For that price you can get two and a half "fully" maxed out imacs. I'm not sure the extra cores and such are worth the drop in single core speed and of course the crazy cost. I guess for rendering this might be justified, but it is hard to even begin to justify this for individuals. My opinion anyway.. I wonder what the 2018 regular imac will bump to.

i'd only go for it if i was doing a 'big' FCPX project, otherwise it's overkill for me (and, in my usage, LXP)...

fully maxed out this thing is $13,278.00 never thought id see the day when a computer cost that much...

Hmmmm, you don’t remember this?

Starting price was about $9600 and look at those specs; 68030 chip @40 MHz, 4 MB ram, 80 MB hard drive, display not included.

I really wanted one of these, but never could afford it. I can still see the MacWorld cover with the fighter jet declaring “fastest Mac ever!”

Instead, I eventually got one of these.

fully maxed out this thing is $13,278.00 never thought id see the day when a computer cost that much...

Hmmmm, you don’t remember this?

Starting price was about $9600 and look at those specs; 68030 chip @40 MHz, 4 MB ram, 80 MB hard drive, display not included.

I really wanted one of these, but never could afford it. I can still see the MacWorld cover with the fighter jet declaring “fastest Mac ever!”

Instead, I eventually got one of these.

lol I must admit I'm not familiar with those computers but I guess whats more important is what I'm going to be using the computer for. I have a habit of thinking I need the maxed out specs at all times when in reality I don't think I would come close to using the full potential. With that being said i'll shoot for a regular iMac :)

You may get issues when updating an existing Logic install to High Sierra... but High Sierra works fine with Logic.

Thanks David, do you mean its best to install a fresh version of Logic when you have updated to High Sierra? then all is fine?

do you have both L9 and LX on your mac? for me, there was no issue updting to HS; my logic X continued to work. read the article carefully, then move forward (if you want to of course)...

EDIT: wait, what does this have to do with the thread? :o

I spent $2500 on a 486 back in 1992, with 2MB Ram (yes, two megabytes) and an upgraded 120MB hard drive, so t's all relative. If you get 5+ years out of it, and you use it to earn a living, I don't see why it's not a good investment IMHO. And if you need 128GB Ram in an iMac, it's your only choice. It just sucks that you can't install the Ram yourself, that would bring the cost down significantly.

You can install more RAM afterwards, I read this today on a usually very well informed Mac blog & forum (in French). You'll have to do it through an Apple Store or Apple certified after-sales service, though (so you may expect you'll have to pay extra RAM the Apple's price), if you don't want to breach the guarantee (which you definitely shouldn't, given how costly this thing is!!!). They advise potential buyers to purchase an iMac Pro with just the right amount of RAM for current needs and use, and to wait for a drop in RAM prices (which is expected) before you max it out.

My first Mac, an LCII, 16mhz, 4megs RAM, 80Meg HDD. $2,300 CAD, 1992. The Stylewriter was another $300.

This here iMac is beast enough for my needs. It gets a little choked up in graphic-heavy games, but I didn't buy this machine to beat Ethelred the Unready in Civ VI. I'll say what I find myself saying more and more often these days: "I am not the target demographic." :idea: