Loud Mix

Matias Bona

Hi! I'm having a problem that i'm really struggling with, and i hope somebody can help me. I mix my tracks leaving 0.5 db of headroom, and then mastering I try to "pump it up" a bit, but in the end i get much quieter tracks than "pros" tracks. I know that i will never be able to get such a master/mixing as they're pros, but I would like to,at least, get something that goes near theirs. Is there anyway to get a loud track without destroying the quality? Thank you so much and sorry for any mistakes!

Is there anyway to get a loud track without destroying the quality?

Not really.

Loudness doesn't equal great sound.

It's just a testosterone war.

ITunes, Spotify and YouTube are bringing down the average loudness anyway.

So if you're mix is averaging -7 or -8 RMS, it will sound worse when equalled with everything else on Spotify at -12 or similar.

It's mainly a question of loudness potential in the arrangement, the production and the mix. The intrinsic loudness is a potential that can be realized during mastering. If it's not there to begin with you'll get an objectively loud (i.e. measured) but subjectively totally squashed/punch-less/distorted master as you're pushing your production and mix beyond its potential.

But to paraphrase Triplets above, there's no reason to squash the s#!+ out of your music if you don't have to.

I've heard this questions so many times I wrote a thread on the subject many years ago, maybe you'll find some ideas there:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/468170-loudness-when-producing-mixing-tips.html

Is there anyway to get a loud track without destroying the quality?

Short answer, no.

Long answer : You kinda can (up to a certain degree) if the compression during mastering is done tastefully. But they all begin with a well balanced mixdown.

I mix my tracks leaving 0.5 db of headroom, and then mastering I try to "pump it up" a bit, but in the end i get much quieter tracks than "pros" tracks

Your mixdown probably isn't balanced or you overcompressed it. It gets squashed when you 'pumped it up' and resulted in quieter sounding track.

Getting your mixdown properly balanced and then sparkles, thats the hard stuff worth pursuing in my opinion.