solo question

drakepeterdrake
Go to solution Solved by drakepeterdrake,

when I put a midi track in solo mode using control-S, the audio tracks keep playing.

That's not the expected behavior. In Solo mode, whatever regions you select become shaded in yellow, meaning they're soloed. All unselected regions are grayed out, meaning they're muted. Check that all your audio regions are grayed out.

If that still doesn't work please post a screenshot of your Tracks area?

• Solution
Hi, David. As I was preparing a screenshot to send you, I tried one thing on a hunch and it solved the problem: The audio tracks that would not mute in response to a midi track being soloed all had melodyne in them. Melodyne does not follow the solo for whatever reason. If I bypass melodyne, the solo mode functions correctly. Thanks. P

aHA! That's because some tuning plug-ins like Melodyne can record the audio and store it inside the plug-in, so that upon playback, Logic doesn't get the audio signal from the audio regions on the track but from the plu-in. So muting the audio regions on the track (which is what Solo mode does) doesn't prevent the audio from being routed to the output.

Actually, that's how Melodyne works. It stores a copy of the audio file, one that you have previously transferred in to Melodyne. So every time you hit play you hear the audio from Melodyne not your audio track. The idea is that once you have made all your edits and are happy with everything you then bounce that track in place or to another track if you want to keep the original. You can then remove the Melodyne plugin and save the CPU resources.

HTH,

Alan.