How to modulate an FX parameter on an audio track?

Yan
Go to solution Solved by Yan,

Hello everybody!

I know the board since sometimes as a useful ressource, and i'm now checking in to ask Logic gurus this little question about our favourite sequencer. Sorry if the anwer has already been posted before, i did a quick check but did'nt find something definitive.

So is there a way to modulate an FX plugin parameter inserted in an audio track signal chain, the same way we can modulate the same FX when it's inserted in an Instrument track? I have been looking into the Environnement window if any routhing from a midi/instrument track was possible in direction of an audio track, but it doesn't seem to be the case (but I admit It's not the part of Logic I know best).

I fear there is no way to do this, but i thought the board would be the place to confirm or give me hope about that!

Thanks for any anwer!

Best,

Yan

Hi Yan, and welcome to Logic Pro Help!

Yes, what you're asking is possible. You have to enable at least one IAC bus in Audio MIDI Setup to reroute the output of the MIDI FX (Modulator) back into Logic's input.

On a software instrument track, insert the Modulator MIDI FX then insert an External Instrument plug-in and route its output to the IAC bus.

In the Click and Port layer, use a transformer to transform whatever the Modulator is outputting to whatever is needed to modulate the desired parameter on your audio plug-in, then route that data to the Sequencer input. Make sure your audio track is R-enabled.

• Solution

Thanks for the trick David!

Actually I just tried as you told : by default, the environnement is already patched to send what the IAC bus is outputting to the Sequencer Input. But the plugin I was using for testing isn't receiving any midi data that way (it has Midi activity indicator), and i don't know how to configure the transformer to do so.

But i just discovered another way, indeed in the manual of the plugin i am using for the test (Simplon, a basic midi enabled filter by Fab Filter). Their trick is :

- In the instrument track, instead of inserting an external synth, i insert in the instrument slot the Midi controlled effect version of the plugin.

- Then, i can choose my audio track as a side chain input of the plugin. I have to mute the original audio track if i don't want the dry and wet signal to be mixed.

- Now the effect receive Midi datas from the modulator above, and process the audio track.

- I want to add another plugin in the chain that i want to modulate, i have to create another instrument track!

So it's a bit tricky, but it works. I really hope that in a not too distant future, Apple will consider upgrading the midi data routing and modulation, and make it more simple and flowing. Maybe in that domain Ableton Live and even more Bitwig Studio 2 could be an inspiration.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I know this thread is old, but I'm really curious on how to do this for a project I'm working on and I've set up the midi bus but when I go to the click and port layer I think I am messing up because nothing I'm doing is working. Thanks in advance.